Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I have two computers; a laptop and a desktop. I just want to know which version is much better for being installed between 10.04 desktop/server and 11.04 desktop/server. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cool [SOLVED] ubuntu 10.04/11.04

Hi guys, I have two computers; a laptop and a desktop.

I just want to know which version is much better for being installed between 10.04 desktop/server and 11.04 desktop/server.

I would also appreciate if someone clarifies me why ubuntu-10.04-desktop-i386 weighs 716.230KB , Ubuntu 11.04 - 32Bits weighs 105.568KB , ubuntu-10.04.2-server-i386 weighs just 19.488KB and Ubuntu Server 11.04 -32Bits weighs 265.440KB.

My question first is based on which one mentioned above should be the best to install on each computer and

My second question is based on why some of them are lighter and some heavier from others. I guess a server's version one or a newer version one should be heavier than desktops ones and from older versions ones.

I hope you guys understand my question and wait for your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by PC caf View Post
    ...I hope you guys understand my question and wait for your answer.
    Welcome PC caf,

Let me try...

If I would be making that choice, I would rather be installing 10.04 due to it's earlier release, it might have had more bugs fixed in the updates.

Regarding weights.....Servers are lighter since it was stripped off many things and it just runs on bare the essentials.

Hope the gurus enlighten us both here
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Just Joined!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by nujinini View Post
    Welcome PC caf,

Let me try...

If I would be making that choice, I would rather be installing 10.04 due to it's earlier release, it might have had more bugs fixed in the updates.

Regarding weights.....Servers are lighter since it was stripped off many things and it just runs on bare the essentials.

Hope the gurus enlighten us both here
    Thanks for your answer.

According to your answer, I would like you to suggest me if I install a server 32bits or 64bits on my desktop and which 32bit's client version I could install on the laptop or maybe you would consider to install just "32bit's client version" on both computers in order to make the local network work better.

Desktop
    AMD Athlon(tm) 64X2 Dual
    Core Processor 4800+ 2.51Ghz
    2.00GB RAM
    2HD 160GB each one

Laptop
    Intel(R)Core(TM)2CPU T5500 1.66Ghz
    2.00GB RAM
    1HD 120GB

Thanks again and I will wait for your answer again guys.

Rgds
    PC caf

Ubuntu releases vary in terms of how long they are supported.

10.04 (Lucid Lynx is a Long Term Support (LTS) release and the desktop version will be supported for 3 years (until April 2013)

11.04 is a regular release and receives updates for (I think) 1 year.

There are significant differences between the two releases. 10.04 uses the Gnome 2 desktop, whereas 11.04 uses the new Unity desktop.

The software on 11.04 is more up to date (Firefox 4 rather than 3.6, Libre Office 3.3.0 rather than OpenOffice.org 3.2.

In general you would expect 10.04 to be a little more solid than 11.04 (which has been my experience, although I find 11.04 to be perfectly usable on my laptop.)

I'm currently happy with 10.04 on my desktop and 11.04 on my laptop.

Just Joined!

Thumbs up

Thanks for your reply time and help. I will take it as you say.

PC caf