Find the answer to your Linux question:
I understand that RAM capabilities is mainly based on your mobo, but lets say the mobo can handle 32gigs (Exaggerating here). I'm currently running 2 gigs on my current system, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Kentucky or the South Pole with the Penguins

Talking [SOLVED] How much RAM can 11.04 recognize and use accordingly?

I understand that RAM capabilities is mainly based on your mobo, but lets say the mobo can handle 32gigs (Exaggerating here). I'm currently running 2 gigs on my current system, and am thinking about bumping it up to maybe 4, 5, or even 6... I know my system can handle more than 2 (which is why I'm doing this, and I'm trying to do high RAM tasking things) so how much RAM can ubuntu 11.04 64 bit OS handle, recognize, and use to potential? I've googled it plenty of times, but I'm only coming up with people saying "oh it's whatever your mobo is capable of," which is true, but I want to know if there is like a pre-determined limit that 11.04 64 bit OS will only use if installed.

Like how some 32 bit OS will only use lets say 3.0-3.5 gigs of an installed 4 gigs. I don't want to go out of my way and spend money on a few extra gigs if my system will only recognize a portion of it. I know my 64 bit will recognize whatever I'm willing to pay (which won't be too much more ) but I'm just curious.

Thanks ahead of time, and Sorry for making the post so long, with such a small and simple question

OK, so I've been googling the heck out of this question and like before, everyone just says it's what your mobo can handle (OBVIOUSLY)...Oh and I saw MY EXACT question on another forum, So thank you "Melissa" for trying to find an answer for me

But I did find two answers that, I guess, answer my question at least enough to keep me from searching any further, but feel free to correct me if you know a more realistic answer.

Ubuntu 32 but can handle up to 4G RAM. It can handle more IF you recompile/reconfigure/whatever your kernel.

Ubuntu 64 bit can handle up to:

1st answer: Around 64 Gigs. (I'm never getting there unless RAM becomes the price of bubblegum, and mobos become the price of a pack of bubblegum.

2nd answer: (don't know how it's possible but someone said)
    Using a 64-bit OS, I think the same problem exists but, you won't see it until you have about 16 exabytes of RAM (which is a lot).
    HOLY FREAKIN COW SHAT!!

So, anyone have anything to add or give a more definite answer? Melissa?

SunshineFolk

According to the Ubuntu help wiki the total amount of Ram that
    Ubuntu 64 bit OS can address is 16.8 TB's of Ram but limits
    are in place that caps it around 1 TB of Ram.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/32bit_and_64bit

Since I run i686 Linux. If I want more ram recognition I just install a PAE kernel in i686.

linux-image-i686-bigmem 2.6.38+34

This package depends on the latest Linux kernel and modules for use on PCs
    with 4-64GB RAM, using PAE (Physical Address Extension).

This kernel also runs on a Xen hypervisor. It supports only unprivileged
    (domU) operation.
    Ubuntu should have a PAE kernel available also in synaptic. Just search pae.

Only good for 32bit installs though.

Memory

A 32-bit computer has a word size of 32 bits, this limits the memory theoretically to 4GB. This barrier has been extended through the use of 'Physical Address Extension' (or PAE) which increases the limit to 64GB although the memory access above 4GB will be slightly slower.
    A 64-bit computer will be able to address up to 16.8 million TB (16 exabytes) although constraints are in place that limit this to around 1TB.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I don't think we have to worry about the 64 bit Ram limits because
    we could never afford it!
    LOL!!

I don't think we have to worry about the 64 bit Ram limits because
    we could never afford it!
    LOL!!
    True That!!

Well I'm rockin the 64 bit so I should be good on the Cap off limit. I had 2 gigs of RAM, then put another 4 gigs in today, now my system monitor is showing 5.8 GiB now . It's treating me pretty good.

My system monitor indicator was usually showing anywhere from mem:30%-90% usage, but thats when I'd have a crap ton of stuff going, at 90%. Now I haven't even seen it above 21% (but haven't tried nothing crazy with it) and I'm loving it!!

Since I run i686 Linux. If I want more ram recognition I just install a PAE kernel in i686.
    SO, rokytnji, do you have any reason that your running 32-bit linux? Because I was wondering what the noticeable differences were really (besides the obvious)? I noticed that the Linux site was "recommending" ubuntu 11.04 32-bit download over the 64-bit download when I got Natty. I never really found out why though. But do you prefer it, or just always running the 32-bit just for the hell of it? Just curious.

SunshineFolk

AntiX only comes in i486/i686. No 64 bit. No biggy for me as work around is no biggy if I get rich and bump ram from 2 gig to lets say 6 gig.

Ubuntu and me will part ways when End of Life for 10.04 LTS happens. I only run Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64bit on one Desktop.

Grub2 is a pain for me.

But do you prefer it
    Pretty much.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Awesome! Thanks for all the replies man, and the input from Taz, much appreciated! ...But I'm far from rich (poor college boy that just graduated, looking for REAL "grownup" job ) just my step-dad had some extra RAM laying around (he builds computers) so I was like "Sooooooo, you using any that extra RAM buddy?" Hahaha, and of course he couldn't say he was since he wasn't, so BAMM, 4 more gigs for meeeeee

ANYWAYS, I'll mark this thread as [SOLVED] now, since we've conquered the initial question

But see you around the forum guys.
    Take Care

SunshineFolk