Find the answer to your Linux question:
OK, so I'm trying to run an extension for firefox that is no longer handled with firefox 4.0+. I've googled that you can run two different versions of firefox on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Kentucky or the South Pole with the Penguins

Question [SOLVED] setting up/installing 2 different firefox browsers

OK, so I'm trying to run an extension for firefox that is no longer handled with firefox 4.0+. I've googled that you can run two different versions of firefox on the same system, but you have to have them set up as two different profiles. Basically having the two different browsers set up in two different locations running there own things from different files, etc...

How can I go about setting up an older version of firefox in a different location, instead of just running the setup in general which would conflict with my newer version?

I know it can be done, but a simple sudo apt-get install firefox (version x.x) will basically override my newer version I would imagine. I've already found where to get the older versions file and everything, I just don't want to mess up my new version

Can someone please help me as to how to install this in another location not affecting my current version? I also understand that I will have to have another command to run this older version, so maybe if you could shed some light on how to set up the new command also, it would be much appreciated

PLEASE

Download the archive file from Mozilla, and extract it to a folder in your home. Run it from there, using either a .desktop file or in a terminal, using ./firefox or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    Download the archive file from Mozilla, and extract it to a folder in your home. Run it from there, using either a .desktop file or in a terminal, using ./firefox or whatever.
    Thank you for the help sgosnell!

But I don't really understand how to do that all to well. So after extracting it to "folder name", I go to command, and type cd /"folder name" to get to specified folder, then I'm sort of stuck there. then just type ./"whatever I name it" ? Then it will just install it from there into that folder?

Sorry! I'm sort of new to this.

But your help is much appreciated!

You just cd to the folder you exracted to, and then find firefox. I haven't used it in some time, since I run Debian and iceweasel, but it may be in a subfolder. The executable you want is firefox, in whatever subfolder.

Just had to deal with a similar situation yesterday. HP ILO's don't work with 64bit Java, and 64bit Firefox doesn't work with 32bit Java. Solution was to download the self-extractors for 32bit java and firefox, then extract into a ~/ff32 folder. I use a script that sets PATH and MOZ_PLUGIN_HOME and JAVA_HOME and all is well. A bit of Googleing will tell you how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineFolk View Post
    OK, so I'm trying to run an extension for firefox that is no longer handled with firefox 4.0+. I've googled that you can run two different versions of firefox on the same system, but you have to have them set up as two different profiles. Basically having the two different browsers set up in two different locations running there own things from different files, etc...

How can I go about setting up an older version of firefox in a different location, instead of just running the setup in general which would conflict with my newer version?

I know it can be done, but a simple sudo apt-get install firefox (version x.x) will basically override my newer version I would imagine. I've already found where to get the older versions file and everything, I just don't want to mess up my new version

Can someone please help me as to how to install this in another location not affecting my current version? I also understand that I will have to have another command to run this older version, so maybe if you could shed some light on how to set up the new command also, it would be much appreciated

PLEASE
    Open a user terminal shell and cd into directory you saved the downloaded file to, as such:

cd /home/your-user/Downloads <enter-key>
    ls <enter-key>
    look to besure file exists in directory chosen.

Now extract contents of tar.b2z file

tar jxvf firefox*.*.*.tar.bz2 <enter-key>

After extraction has completed move the firefox folder to /usr/local
    Run ls on target directory first to besure a firefox folder does not already exist,
    as it will be overwritten if it does.
    IF a directory does exist rename the current firefox folder/directory in download location to firefox-3
    or name of your choosing and be sure to edit following commands to reflect this change.
    ls /usr/local <enter-key>

Carring on as though a firefox folder does not aready exist,
    move firefox folder/directory to /usr/local.
    To do so, you need to be superuser,
    so type su root in current term as below.

su root <enter-key>
    Type your root/superuser password then hit enter key.

Then type:
    mv firefox /usr/local <enter-key>

After folder move has completed:
    exit <enter-key>
    in term to return to user.

Now you need to create a profile for this version of firefox.

In same term type
    /usr/local/firefox/firefox -profilemanager

Click on Create Profile
    and follow through naming the profile something like firefox-3.
    You may want to rename the existing profile also to reflect the original installed version.
    (usually named DeFault to something like firefox-4)

Now you will need to create a menu entery for the browser/s.
    Not Knowing which DE/WM you are using I can not give you specifics.
    Be sure to edit the existing menu entery for the original to bring up the profilemanager,
    so proper profile can be chosen.
    You do so by editing the command section to reflect true path to binaries and add
    a space hyphen profilemanager as in below example:
    /usr/bin/firefox -profilemanager
    /usr/local/firefox/firefox -profilemanager
    for each menu entery.

Also you will need to edit the existing desktop files,
    If your DE uses them for menu constructs.
    and create a new one for the version that resides in /usr/local/firefox.

Locate existing firefox desktop files as below in term:
    locate *firefox.desktop <enter-key>
    Open the files in text editor and edit exec= lines.

Make a new file named firefox-3.desktop in /usr/share/applications:
    su root <enter-key>
    enter root password <enter-key>
    Then type as below:
    touch /usr/share/applications/firefox-3.desktop <enter-key>
    Now open this newly created file in text editor and add below to it. (Copy/Paste)

kedit /usr/share/applications/firefox-3.desktop <enter-key> (sub kedit for your editor choice)
    Save changes to file when completed.

[Desktop Entry]
    Name=Firefox 3.6.17
    GenericName=Web Browser
    Exec=/usr/local/firefox/firefox %u
    Icon=firefox
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml;text/mml;x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/https;
    StartupNotify=true
    Categories=Network;WebBrowser;

Kruppt

Kruppt and sgosnell,

Thank you thank you!!! This is exaclty what I was looking for...

greyhairweenie,

Thanks for the input, but I'm just trying to have two different version firebox browsers, and what I'm doing has nothing to do with my Javas. But I see where your coming from, sucks!! And yes I could google what you said to find more about it, but Kruppt was nice enough to tell me exactly how to do it . I tried "googling" how to setup the 2 different version browsers for linux, but all I could find was how to do it in windows (which I could have done by myself). I'm just a n00b when it comes to stuff like this with Linux, especially setting up 2 different versions of a program, VRROOOMM over my head!

Thanks to all for the help though, much appreciated for the time you took.

[SOLVED]

SunshineFolk