Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hi folks. I have more than one question but only one for now. I am wrestling with Ubuntu since I just installed it. My question if I can make you ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Pointer question

Hi folks. I have more than one question but only one for now. I am wrestling with Ubuntu since I just installed it. My question if I can make you understand what I am trying to say here is -- why when I let the pointer rest for a second or two it turns sorta a reddish color and then when I move it a line is left behind and immediately dissapears. Probably some setting I made fumbling around this new system.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by billybob12 View Post
    Hi folks. I have more than one question but only one for now. I am wrestling with Ubuntu since I just installed it. My question if I can make you understand what I am trying to say here is -- why when I let the pointer rest for a second or two it turns sorta a reddish color and then when I move it a line is left behind and immediately dissapears. Probably some setting I made fumbling around this new system.
    Well I will reply to my own post. I have to assume now that you people think I am not of sound mind or just a computer dummy. I assure you I don't wear those hats. This pointer trail thingy is actually happening. Surely this is not a normal behavior of the pointer in Ubuntu. If it is I could do without it. I would take a scr shot but trail will not stay long enough to take one.

I pause the pointer,the pointer turns a light red, I left click and drag leaving a straight line from the point the pointer was in. I have seen this before when using Irfanview to enter text in a selected place.

Kentucky or the South Pole with the Penguins
    Are you using "CompizConfig Settings Manager", most people reference it just as Compiz?

Have you messed with your "Appearance" settings? I don't think there is an option to make it change colors upon resting the mouse, but I do know you can make the mouse pointer a red color.

SunshineFolk

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Are you using "CompizConfig Settings Don't know what that is. I only changed the wallpaper in appearance.

I would take a scr shot but trail will not stay long enough to take one.
    OK, found you a way to get the screen shot. It's basically just like windows with the Print Screen button. Except on Linux it's "Alt-Print Screen" . Hold Alt, press Print Screen. Then a dialgo box will pop up and ask you what to do with it. You can either "Copy to Clipboard" or "Save" it. It's up to you what to do with it from there.

If you decide to copy to clip board you will have to download "KolourPaint" from Ubuntu Software Center. It's just like MS-Paint. So you can load it up after install, then just "Paste" your image thats saved to clipboard onto the empty paint board. Then you can save that, etc, then show us in here what it actually looks like.

I don't know what happens when you just "Save" the Print Screen picture though, haven'd done it myself. You can try that first and post it here if you'd rather not install the paint program just to save it Up To Ya!

Cause to me this problem sounds like a feature or effect that you've applied by accident. I don't know how it would randomly start on its own. Are your videos playing OK? Does it do this when you move your windows around? Is it ONLY your mouse pointer that does something like trails? Did this mouse pointer problem start from the beginning of your setup like the first time you booted up your system with nothing at all installed but your basic OS, after your Linux installation on the HDD?

Oh yeah, while your trying to take the screen shot, move the mouse around with one hand, and press the "Alt-Print Screen" with the other hand to be able to get the mouse doing as your saying... I saw where you said it wont stay long enough to take the screen shot, so maybe that will get it in the picture. May be a little hard, but it's worth a shot

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by SunshineFolk View Post
    OK, found you a way to get the screen shot. It's basically just like windows with the Print Screen button. Except on Linux it's "Alt-Print Screen" . Hold Alt, press Print Screen. Then a dialgo box will pop up and ask you what to do with it. You can either "Copy to Clipboard" or "Save" it. It's up to you what to do with it from there.

If you decide to copy to clip board you will have to download "KolourPaint" from Ubuntu Software Center. It's just like MS-Paint. So you can load it up after install, then just "Paste" your image thats saved to clipboard onto the empty paint board. Then you can save that, etc, then show us in here what it actually looks like.

I don't know what happens when you just "Save" the Print Screen picture though, haven'd done it myself. You can try that first and post it here if you'd rather not install the paint program just to save it Up To Ya!

Cause to me this problem sounds like a feature or effect that you've applied by accident. I don't know how it would randomly start on its own. Are your videos playing OK? Does it do this when you move your windows around? Is it ONLY your mouse pointer that does something like trails? Did this mouse pointer problem start from the beginning of your setup like the first time you booted up your system with nothing at all installed but your basic OS, after your Linux installation on the HDD?
    "Alt-Print Screen"? That don't work with this version of linux 10.10.
    Cause to me this problem sounds like a feature or effect that you've applied by accident.

You may be right with this but I can't imagine what I could have done. I say this because I don't recall seeing this behavior when I first started fiddling with this OS. There is nothing in the mouse folder about trails as there is in Windows.

Just Joined!
    Thanks my friend but I only have two hands. The prt/scr and alt are two far apart on this laptop to do this with one hand. Now if I hand a hand the size of Andre the giant it might be possible. LOL

Okay, sorry, thought you were using 11.04 ...

Try using just "Print Screen" button by itself then. I think that works by itself in 10.10. But I don't know if it gives you the option to save it once you do it, as like windows dont' either just acknowledges it but don't tell you. THEN you'd have to download the paint program and follow from there.

Let me look this problem up a little more, cause I have no idea what you've done

But give that screen shot a shot haha.

SunshineFolk

Just Joined!
    Well found a way to prt/scr--ctrl+prt/scr but still can't do anything. The trail disappears in a nano second before I can click to copy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast