Find the answer to your Linux question:
A bootable flash drive was made with persistance on a 4GB drive off of a live kubuntu DVD using "Make USB Startup Disk." When the computer boots off the flash ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

kubunyu on flash drive boots to a shell

A bootable flash drive was made with persistance on a 4GB drive off of a live kubuntu DVD using "Make USB Startup Disk." When the computer boots off the flash drive it boots to a Busybox built-in-shell and the message "Unable to find a medium containing a live file system." appears.

1) Is something wrong? I was expecting the computer would boot off the flash drive to a desk top, not a (text) command line shell.

2) Can an iso of one of the live distros such as Ubuntu be installed on a flash drive so that the flash drive will boot the same as the live DVD? That is, I use the live DVD but would prefer to do the same thing off of a flash drive.

Thank you for the help. Linux is new for me. ken

Linux Guru
    "Unable to find a medium containing a live file system."
    It's not going to boot to anything if you get that message. I would suggest trying it again and taking notes on the process because something went wrong. From what I have read at the Ubuntu forums, you should be able to do what you want with the Live USB Creator.

Did you follow the Steps in Section 2 at the Ubuntu site below?

Download | Ubuntu

Just Joined!
    follow the instructions here:
    help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close