Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, i've been using xubuntu for a few days now and i am encountering this irritating problem! i am able to connect other thumb drives and other flash drives to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Not able to connect my external hard drive......!

hi, i've been using xubuntu for a few days now and i am encountering this irritating problem!
    i am able to connect other thumb drives and other flash drives to my laptop and they run fine on xubuntu but when i try to connect my 80 gigs external hard drive, it displays the following error message and shows nothing but an empty window of the hard drive with no contents of it :
    ERROR:

"Failed to open directory "This IS RJ's".
    Error stating file '/media/This IS RJ's/xubuntu-11.04-desktop-i386.iso': Input/output error."

where "this is RJ's" is my hard drives label and the "xubuntu-11.04-desktop-i386.iso" is a file i believe inside the drive. ( is it causing the problem?)
    this external hard disk is working fine on windows xp. but what is the problem on xubuntu? plz help guyz!

Kentucky or the South Pole with the Penguins
    Have you tried just simply going on XP and deleting this .iso? Then fire up xubuntu and try it again.

Is your HDD setup for NTFS file system by Windows?

Is your drive mounted in xubuntu?

But it sounds like every time you try to load it, it try's to open up the .iso instead of letting you "browse" and gives you the error. Try deleting the .iso in Windows if it'll let you on there to browse like you said (or save it somewhere else in XP, whatever). Is the .iso file saved directly on the HDD drive, or is it within a folder in the drive?

Maybe theres something simpler than I''m thinking, and maybe someone else will tell you what's up, but try that first

SunshineFolk