Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Keep using the command line, it usually helps a bit more. Post the output of the above command please. Code: ifconfig -a Keep in mind, NDISwrapper isn't perfect, sometimes it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Keep using the command line, it usually helps a bit more.
    Post the output of the above command please.
    Code:
    ifconfig -a
    Keep in mind, NDISwrapper isn't perfect, sometimes it works, other times, not so much.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Here is the code for ifconfig -a.
    Code:

paul@Paul-Linux:~$ ifconfig -a
    eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 84:2b:2b:c0:bc:68  
              UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
              Interrupt:17 

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
              RX packets:160 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:160 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
              RX bytes:11136 (11.1 KB)  TX bytes:11136 (11.1 KB)

Did you get an install CD/DVD when you purchased the device? There should be a Windows driver on there that will work because all the threads I found are having a real hard time getting this device to work anyhow. I think you are stuck with NDISwrapper for the time being.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    Yes there is a install cd that came with it. When I got to bin and the. Drivers folder on the cd all it has is a setup.exe. Thats why i was considering running that through wine to run the program but i guess that wont work :$ I look at the drivers in device manager and it gives me a couple of .dll and two .sys files and no inf file.

Wine might work, have you tried it yet?

EDIT: is there no other folders at all on the CD?

Just Joined!
    I haven't tried wine yet because I do not know how to install it or run it. And on my cd:
    DVD -> Autorun.exe,autorun.inf,GdiPlus.dll,index.html,set up.inf,unicows.dll
    DVD -> "bin" folder -> "driver" folder -> setup.exe
    DVD -> "bin" folder -> "res" folder -> There is just some pictures and html and css files.

You might find wine on the install CD, use your system package manager to install them.

Just Joined!
    Ya I would of done that with synaptic but as I said before I cannot connect to the internet with Linux. How am I suppose to get it with my package manager when I do not have internet. Is there a .deb file or someother file I can install it with? Last time I tried it with a .tar.gz file and it said in the terminal there was no c compiler found and all that stuff.

Just Joined!
    ndiswrapper + NetworkManager Tutorial

This is intended for Ubuntu, but it might work for other distro's I am not sure. In place of sudo if you dont have it. use su.

update with: sudo update-manager -d
    install ndiswrapper. Find the native windows drivers for your wireless card. in my case i had to use netgears wn311t. When they were extracted i would get netmw14x.inf (the driver).
    find out what the device number is (forget what its called exatly) but it will be ####:#### (it will have letters) so do a "lspci -nn" minus the quotes.
    it will show a list of stuff with network devices and such, Find your wireless adaptor and on the line with it it will have something like:
    00:04.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet [1039:0900] (rev 91)

Im not booted into linux so im ssh'd into my shell. but your wireless card will show something like that. note down the numbers nad letters inside the [####:####]

"sudo ndiswrapper -i driver.inf" (/etc/ndiswrapper will create a folder named "netmw14x" inside it. make sure you are in the directory with the driver file. and dont forget the .inf part).

"sudo ndiswrapper -a 11ab:2a08 netmw14x" (lspci -nn will show device ids. with different versions of ndiswrapper it might be -d. but do sudo ndiswrapper -a or -d depending on your version. "ndiswrapper -a ####:#### driver" notice the driver on this one doesnt have the .inf part )

"sudo ndiswrapper -l" will now say the device is present and it can be configured normally.

after that you'll want to edit your network manager so you can use it with the wireless adaptor. so do

sudo gedit /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf
    under [ifupdown], change managed=true

after youll want to add your alias with ndiswrapper so

"sudo ndiswrapper -m"

next youll want to make the module dependencies (its like a makefile) so do:

"sudo depmod -a"

and then youll want to load the modules so it will work:

"sudo modprobe ndiswrapper"

and then

"sudo ifup wlan0"

an overview of commands

1. sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-common
    2. sudo ndiswrapper -i driver.inf
    3. lspci -nn (note down the device id)
    4. sudo ndiswrapper -a ####:#### driver
    5. sudo ndiswrapper -m
    6. sudo gedit /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf (change managed to true)
    7. sudo depmod -a
    8. sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    9. sudo ifup wlan0

and your wireless should show up in the network manager

[edit] atleast thats all waht worked for me. i tried for months to get wireless to work and it wouldnt. the only thing i didnt do was change the managed to true which made it work. an easier way to install the driver though is using ndisgtk so you dont have to go through all the hassle of running commands. as it says ndisgtk gimp toolkit so its for x instead of a command line.
    Last edited by kr0nik; 06-08-2011 at 03:25 AM. Reason: i already had a tutorial posted and here it is

Just Joined!
    you dont need wine for your wireless or to install it. ndiswrapper is already a linux application that uses windows wireless drivers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast