Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've a new HDD, well new everything. Have created startup disk and memory stick. With the memory stick I had 11.04 up and running as, what is it not install, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Wish to wipe HDD, new install black screen

I've a new HDD, well new everything. Have created startup disk and memory stick. With the memory stick I had 11.04 up and running as, what is it not install, but just looking. Then ran Gparted setting up ./ ./boot, ./data and /swap. went to install Ubuntu and the screen went Black with the white cursor in the upper left corner. There is no way for me to escape from the cursor. No terminal and can't run Gparted. Have checked and move the hardware connections on the mother board.

Noticed that some felt that fsck could be part of the problem along with suggestions, but as I said I've no terminal. All I can think to do is to wipe the hard drive and start once, but my question is how to do it.

I briefly is, on the BIOS screen "Searching NVRAM", then the black screen,

I appreciate your time and I open to suggestions as to how to correct the problem.

Here is a partial lists of new hardware:
    ECS IC780M-A Motherboard - AMD 770, Socket AM2+, ATX, DDR2, Dual Channel, PCIe, RAID (S458-1342) 1 $49.91 $49.91

AMD Phenom X4 9750 Quad Core Processor - 2.40GHz, 4MB Cache, 3600 MT/s FSB, Quad-Core, Socket AM2+, OEM Processor (A79-9751) 1 $52.30 $52.30

Patriot PSD22G80026 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 Memory - 800MHz, 1x2048MB, Non-ECC, Unbuffered (P33-6096) 1 $27.38 $27.38

Seagate ST3500418AS Barracuda 7200.12 Hard Drive - 3.5", 7200 RPM, SATA 3G, 500GB, 16MB Cache (OEM) (TSD-500AS7) 1 $38.84 $38.84

DiabloTek CPA-0280 Elite ATX Mid Tower Case - ATX, Micro ATX, 450W PSU, 2x Ext 5.25", 1x Ext 3.5", 2x Int 3.5", 2x USB 2.0 Front Ports, Black (D15-3003) 1 $33.45 $33.45

Cooler Master Hyper N520 CPU Cooler - Socket LGA 775, AM2, AM2+, 1156, AM3, 1366 (C283-1202) 1 $29.99 $29.99

EVGA 01G-P3-1235-LR GeForce GT 240 Video Card - 1024MB DDR3, PCI-Express 2.0, DVI, HDMI, VGA (E145-024 1 $69.99 $69.99

Thanks

Bob R
    Last edited by Bobrm2; 06-05-2011 at 08:41 PM. Reason: additional informantion

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobrm2 View Post
    All I can think to do is to wipe the hard drive and start once, but my question is how to do it.
    Hello and welcome aboard!

I'm having a hard time following the issue as you describe it, but to wipe the drive and start fresh, you can boot the Ubuntu liveCD or if that is not working, try the Parted Magic liveCD, then clear the MBR and the partition table by going to a terminal and issuing the following command:

For Ubuntu:

Code:
    sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
    If needed, you can use the fdisk -l command to determine your device name:

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Be sure to backup anything you want to keep that is on the drive before you run the command.

You won't need to use the sudo part of the commands if you use the Parted Magic liveCD.
    oz

Just Joined!

Wish to wipe HDD

Glad to be here thank you for the welcome.

I don't know if GRUB has had it, but I suspect that it has. I can't stop BIOS splash screen, tried Escape and F1 as the bios screen comes up. It passes and the screen display is black with a white cursor in the upper left. All control, except reboot is gone at that point. Gparted will not invoke i.e. insert Gparted reboot computer and I get back to the black screen with the white cursor. Have startup ISO so on and so forth. Is there some way to wipe the HDD or correct the GRUB. Seems like the key is getting to a terminal?

device is /dev/sda/
    Last edited by Bobrm2; 06-05-2011 at 11:55 PM. Reason: further explaination

I am also not clear as to what you are doing from your description so I will ask you some questions. Please answer just the questions without adding other bits so we can narrow down the problem.

1/ Have you got the PC set up so the dvd drive is the first boot device?
    2/ Did you put a live cd/dvd in the drive?
    3/ Did you put a gparted cd/dvd in the drive?
    Last edited by buteman; 06-06-2011 at 09:50 AM. Reason: typing error

Just Joined!

Wish to wipe HDD

In answer to your questions:

!. No, DVD was corrected to make it 1st boot device.

2. Yes, 9.10 forward to 11.04, with 11.04 also on memory stick

3. Yes with all on primary partitions ./ ext2,./Boot ext3,
    ./DATA ext 3, /swap?

Now, I've check system battery making sure it is seated correctly. 2. Reset the CMOS jumper from 1-2 to 2-3, and back to 1-2. Was able to get into BIOS and reset system time. Saved and exit. Back to black screen with flashing white cursor. A little progress. Will wait for your reply.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bobrm2 View Post
    In answer to your questions:

3. Yes with all on primary partitions ./ ext2,./Boot ext3,
    ./DATA ext 3, /swap?

Bob
    Sorry I do not understand this. How did you get the information if you just get a black screen with flashing white cursor?

Just Joined!

WIpe HDD

I ran GPARTED This happened immediately after GPARTED.

I now have contact with CMOS, I can "Press F1" and get into that program to make changes to BIOS. However, until I understand what "Searching NVRAM" means there is no reason to continue. Until I can correct what ever is causing the "Searching NVRAM" error, I will get no further, always the "Black Screen/White cursor" then turn the box off, reset the jumper pins at CMOS. It's just a endless loop.

Searching now for the cause of "Searching NVRAM".

From a search in which I learned something to pass along to you --
    NVRAM

NVRAM is an acronym for Non-Volatile Random Access Memory. NVRAM is a type of Random Access Memory (RAM) that retains its information when power is turned off. The NVRAM is a small 24 pin DIP (Dual Inline Package) integrated circuit chip and is thus able to obtain the power needed to keep it running from the CMOS battery installed in your motherboard. It keeps track of various system parameters such as serial number, Ethernet MAC (Media Access Control) address, HOSTID, date of manufacture, etc. NVRAM is therefore a type of non-volatile memory that offers random access.

Bad NVRAM

When NVRAM is failing, it generally means that your computer hardware is not retaining the necessary specialized settings that it ought to though the default BIOS settings remain. Since the BIOS relies on the settings stored in NVRAM in order to handle the particular hardware you have, performance may lack in stability. The contents of the NVRAM chip can become corrupted for a variety of reasons:

A failure of the embedded battery. If the battery embedded in the NVRAM chip fails, then this means that your system clock will stop running and important system configuration information may not be maintained.

A failure of the CMOS (BIOS) chip on your motherboard. If the CMOS chip is going bad or is not making proper contact with the motherboard's contacts, then the NVRAM will fail.

When you get an error message about your NVRAM:

You may need to purchase a new CMOS battery at your computer store to replace your current one. It is advisable to have a technician observe the battery first and determine whether you really need a new one.

If the BIOS chip was the problem, then you will need to contact your hardware manufacturer who may give you a replacement chip depending on your warranty. If not, then you will need to replace your motherboard.

You could also try to reprogram the NVRAM chip with a hostid and Ethernet address. You should only attempt to do this if you know exactly what you are doing; otherwise you should seek a technician's guidance.

Just Joined!

Smile Wiping HDD

Zenwalker,
    Thank you, this is what has been happening with this box. Waiting for California time to talk with ECS tec.

1. Reset jumpers on CMOS header, by moving jumper from pins 1-2 to pins 2-3, waiting 10 plus seconds and returning to original position.

Boot and boot stops on the AMEITrends front page, saying use F1 to enter Setup. Also indicating that system clock needs to be reset.

Make time setting changes and pressing F10 to save. Brings me back to a reboot and then the Black Screen with white cursor in upper left of the screen.

So back to step one ad infinium

Just a thought about something you might also try if you have not already done so.

Unplug the power lead and do the cmos reset but leave it for at least 1 minute. I had a motherboard which got messed up and it took that long for a full reset to take effect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast