Find the answer to your Linux question:
OS: Ubuntu Server 10.04.2 LTS Hi, I have a problem, I have a script which need to be ran in a screen, automaticly at startup (SRCDS Spesificly). What I've done: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Run script in screen at startup

Hi, I have a problem, I have a script which need to be ran in a screen, automaticly at startup (SRCDS Spesificly).

What I've done:
    Ive placed a boot.sh script in init.d:
    Code:
    sh /home/xinity/eXtremeServer/startup.sh
    startup.sh:
    Code:
    cd /home/xinity/eXtremeServer
    screen -S Sandbox ./orangebox/StartServer.sh
    Code:
    cd /home/xinity/eXtremeServer/orangebox/
    #cp -v ./srcds_run_cp ./srcds_run
    #chmod -v +x ./srcds_run
    ./srcds_run -console -game garrysmod +hostport 27016 +tv_port 27021 +maxplayers 16 +map gm_construct -autoupdate -insecure -consolelog ./conlog.txt -timeout 1 -ignoresigint
    Ran update-rc.d

What is wrong/happens:
    The server will run, I can connect to it, and see its process in top (running as root though). But it will not appear in the screen -ls list. And I cannot attach to it, therefor I have no way to manage my screen/server.

Is there any other way to execute scripts at startup? I remember when I ran Ubuntu Desktop, I managed to run it by the program Startup Manager. There has to be an nongui way to do this?

Thanks for any answer

Trusted Penguin
    Have you tried detaching the screen?
    Code:
    screen -S Sandbox -d -m ./orangebox/StartServer.sh
    You mention "running as root" - is it not supposed to run as root? Anyway, whomever is the user that calls screen is the one that controls the screen, so "screen -ls" will only work as that user that started the screen.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    Have you tried detaching the screen?
    Code:
    screen -S Sandbox -d -m ./orangebox/StartServer.sh
    You mention "running as root" - is it not supposed to run as root? Anyway, whomever is the user that calls screen is the one that controls the screen, so "screen -ls" will only work as that user that started the screen.
    Yeah you're right, sudo screen -ls showed my screen.
    Its supposed to run under my main user (xinity). As screen messes up when its ran under root. I tried sudo -u xinity, but then the server failed to run :/

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Trusted Penguin
    As screen messes up when its ran under root. I tried sudo -u xinity, but then the server failed to run :/
    can you explain what you mean by the screen messing up, when root?

also, what do you mean the server fails to run; because your main user simply can't run the server (permission problems, etc.) or b/c of the way you are invoking sudo? attach errors, if possible.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    can you explain what you mean by the screen messing up, when root?

also, what do you mean the server fails to run; because your main user simply can't run the server (permission problems, etc.) or b/c of the way you are invoking sudo? attach errors, if possible.
    With screen "messing up", I mean it won't accept input and often hangs. With "Server fails to run" I mean nothing happens, no process in top, no screen in -ls.
    And there are no errors :/

Thanks