Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
System info: Dual boot, Ubuntu 11.04 (32 bit) /Windows 7 home Premium on a Dell Inspiron 560. I am struggling to find a recent (emphasis recent) step by step tutorial/procedure ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Clean uninstall of Ubuntu 11.04

System info: Dual boot, Ubuntu 11.04 (32 bit) /Windows 7 home Premium on a Dell Inspiron 560.

I am struggling to find a recent (emphasis recent) step by step tutorial/procedure for removing Ubuntu completely from the hard drive. I recently installed it but due to some self created issues wish to completely uninstall it and start with a clean slate.

Years ago I used a version of Ubuntu and had some real problems uninstalling it because of grub issues after I deleted the partitions. I do not wish to repeat the experience.

In viewing a number of different dated posts regarding this issue I see a number of "What you could try is this....". or "I don't have that version but you could try...", Frankly, those and similar types of responses do not properly address the issue. To me, "step one do this-post your results, step two do this, post your results ....." These types of articles/posts are appropriate because at some point you either resolve the problem or have the basic information for seeking additional help. Furthermore, it serves to help other members seeking to resolve similar problems.

I would appreciate viable assistance with this problem.

Linux Guru
    The Grub issues you refer to are as a result of deleting the Ubuntu partition which contains most of the Grub files. If you want just windows 7, you should overwrite Grub in the master boot record with the windows 7 bootlaoder. Are you booting windows 7 and Ubuntu with the Grub bootloader? If you are you will need to use your windows 7 installation CD/DVD to repair the bootloader, install windows 7 to the master boot record. If you do not have a windows 7 CD/DVD you can download the windows 7 recovery disk here:

Download Windows 7 System Recovery Discs — The NeoSmart Files

Read the instructions before using. After putting windows 7 in the master boot record, simply format the former Ubuntu partition to ntfs or whatever filesystem you want for windows.

If this is not what you intend, post more specific information.

Just Joined!

Arrow

To delete Ubuntu partition you will need a windows installation CD/DVD.After booting from CD/DVD go to the 'repair windows' section.There open the windows console and execute this command

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

bootrec.exe /fixboot

then reboot the system.Format your Ubuntu partition with any windows filesystem.its complete...TA !!DA!!

You could download DBAN disc scrubber, completely erase the disc in question, then reinstall Ubuntu from scratch. This should also reinstall GRUB properly during the installation process. GRUB will examine other hard drives in your system, find and add Windows to its list of OSs. Make sure you install Linux last, as the Windows installer overwrites the GRUB boot-loader, and you never get to see the Linux installs.

Just Joined!
    I think you need to be a bit more specific as to your goal. Do you want to revert to a windows only boot, or continue with the option of dual booting, but using a different Linux distro? Your post seems to suggest you would like to re-install Linux from a clean slate.

If so, you can re-install Linux over your previous partition from a bootable Linux disk. You need to choose a custom install, and then choose the partition that has the problem Linux installation to be overwritten by the fresh install. This will both obliterate any changes you have made, as well as correct the /boot partition to point Grub to the right location to boot. This should also still give you the option of dual booting.

It should be noted that unless you are moving and deleting files as root, it's usually fairly difficult to make an install inoperative. Most of your problems are probably related to configuration files.

If you want to revert to Windows only, make sure that you reformat the Linux partition to something that Windows can read, or you will have virtually reduced the size of your hard drive.

More specific info regarding your goals will give you more specific advice.

Good luck.

Linux Enthusiast
    While at it you might attempt to get the "step by step" instructions to remove "Microsoft Windows" from your hard drive, so you can compare the two.

Just Joined!
    If you're not too adamant on using Ubuntu, there is a distro of linux called 'Mint' that just came out with a new version. It is very similiar to Ubuntu, I dual boot Mint and Windows 7 Home Premium without any issues. You can find a very in-depth walkthrough of how to correctly install, and cleanly uninstall Linux Mint here:

Install Linux Mint on Your Windows Computer or Netbook - How-To Geek

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by reginaldperrin View Post
    You could download DBAN disc scrubber, completely erase the disc in question
    Dban will completely wipe a hard drive. It's a wonderful tool to restore a drive to its original state. Will run off a floppy -- has its own boot OS. But the best way is to download and burn the Ultimate Boot CD, which has Dban, all the hard drive test utilities, Memtest, and all the other freeware utilities.

Just Joined!

Clean Uninstall of Ubuntu 11.04

Quote Originally Posted by rigidcom View Post
    To delete Ubuntu partition you will need a windows installation CD/DVD.After booting from CD/DVD go to the 'repair windows' section.There open the windows console and execute this command

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

bootrec.exe /fixboot

then reboot the system.Format your Ubuntu partition with any windows filesystem.its complete...TA !!DA!!
    What software/commands would you suggest for actually reformatting the Ubuntu partitions after executing the two commands indicated ?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rog3236 View Post
    What software/commands would you suggest for actually reformatting the Ubuntu partitions after executing the two commands indicated ?
    A Ubuntu live/install disk in its live mode contains GParted (Gnome Partition Editor). It's a GUI partitioning tool and you can use to make or delete partitions, format, make partitions active, etc. Used to be in Administrative Tools, or something like that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast