Find the answer to your Linux question:
AcerAspire One Ubuntu removal Aspire One D250 dual boot Windows XP/ Ubuntu 11.04. I want to install Mint4Win inside windows and remove my Ubuntu installation. The Acer One has it's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

AcerAspire One Ubuntu Removal On Mint Install

AcerAspire One Ubuntu removal
    Aspire One D250 dual boot Windows XP/ Ubuntu 11.04.

I want to install Mint4Win inside windows and remove my Ubuntu installation. The Acer One has it's own recovery program and I do not know how to access the Windows command for fixmbr followed by a deletion of Ubuntu partitions with gparted.

My concern is if I boot with gparted and delete my Ubuntu partitions and reboot I will still see options for an Ubuntu start or windows start even though I no longer would have Ubuntu installed. For example, with Mint installed, on boot an option appears and asks if you wish to boot into Mint or Windows. This occurs if Ubuntu is not installed. My question is basically how do I insure when I boot up my computer I don't have a situation in which I have to first make a decision between Ubuntu and Windows XP and if I select Windows I then have to make another decision as to whether I want to boot LinuxMint or Windows?

Linux Guru
    Is this a dual boot with windows xp and Ubuntu on separate partitions? Are you booting both xp and Ubuntu now with the Grub2 bootloader? If so, your machine will be unbootable if you delete the Ubuntu partition since most of the Grub2 files are on the Ubuntu partition. The fixmbr option should be under Repair on your xp installation CD.

I've not used mint4win but, if you have an option to install Grub2 to the mbr then you should be able to boot both Mint and xp. The other option is to create an entry in xp for Mint.

Just Joined!
    Yes. This is Windows XP and Ubuntu installed on different partitions. The Acer Aspire One D250 does not come with an XP Home Edition CD. They have their own recovery system that unfortunately if used will bring the computer back to it's default settings, i.e. wipes out virtually everything. I do not want to do this.

Well, I have not done this.

Windows

Download Unetbootin For Windows

Run Unetbootin. Select Distribution, and from the drop down menu select "Super Grub Disk"

Select the target drive, and hit OK.
    SGD Howto make - Super Grub Disk Wiki.

Before deleting Ubuntu partition. I would try and make sure I fix Windows MBR first. Above is just the Linux way to use Super Grub Disk to fix windows MBR.

Some other ways to fix windows mbr.

USB Boot XP Recovery Console - The CD Forum

Hiren's BootCD From USB Flash Drive (Pen Drive) - www.hiren.info

Easily Boot Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) from a USB flash drive | USB Pen Drive Linux

Then when you only boot into windows only. You can use Windows to delete Ubuntu Partition.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home