Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, I am new to linux and not very computer savvy. About 3 months ago, I decided to try Linux and installed successfully UBUNTU 10 on my Sony laptop. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cannot boot after installation of upgrade

Hi everyone,

I am new to linux and not very computer savvy.

About 3 months ago, I decided to try Linux and installed successfully UBUNTU 10 on my Sony laptop. I also transfered my files and downloaded those programs that I wanted to work with. I was happy learning and using my system.

I recently was sent an updated disc with Ubuntu 11 and I decided to upgrade. During installation, I was presented with the choice to either replace my existing version and lose all my added files and programs or to install alongside it. I chose the second option hoping to use both version interchangeably, until I am satisfied that the new vesrion is better for me.

After installation which went normally as far as I can tell, I found out that I cannot boot either system. I get a message "grub>" and nothing else.

I realize that I am not giving enough data for whoever choses to help me but I am not sure what do I need to provide nor how to get it. I am hoping that someone will be able to help revert back to my older version of Ubuntu 10 (although at some point I would like to learn how to upgrade my software without risking losing all my existing data) but for now all I would want to do is forget about the Ububtu 11, rid my system of it and go back to my older version.

Unless I can do that, I am going to just wipe everything by formatting the disk, and forget all about Linux going back to Windows.

Hi and welcome to this forum!

What you see there on your screen is the prompt of your bootloader (Grub) waiting for some input. The bootloader is basically the program, which loads your operating system.
    Unfortunately, there seems to be a bug in the Ubuntu upgrade routine. If you follow these instructions: Grub prompt after upgrade to Ubuntu 11.04 – aaron-kelley.net you might be able to resolve it.
    I'm not using Ubuntu myself, therefore I never had to deal with this issue, but I hope, it works for you.
    Refining Linux Advent calendar: 24 Outstanding ZSH Gems

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your reply. I tried following the instructions but I could not make it work, primarily I suspect because I am not knowledgeable in programming. However I wiped everything out and re installed the 11 version alone which it worked. Unfortunately, it reminded me very much what I have been fed up with Microsoft and the need to constantly re install the operating system. What a shame that such an incompatibility issue with previous version of Ubuntu was allowed to get out and undo the work of so many people who have been working so hard to offer an alternative to the problems of Windows. I hope it serves as a lesson to avoid what all of us were running away from, the spending of more time on making the tool work instead of using the tool.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Part of the problem is with the schedule of having new releases every 6 months. They put pressure on themselves to get the release out and do it before problems are resolved. If you find that you like Ubuntu, you would probably be better off getting the next release which is LTS and doing updates. Here's some info on Ubuntu LTS:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS

Just Joined!
    While I understand the reasons, I cannot justify any pressures that are self imposed. At some point developers must decide what their purpose is: to meet a deadline or to produce a worthwhile product. Why must they come out with a new release every 6 months? Do these people feel that each new release provides a revolutionary improvement over its predecessor? Certainly not to the many of us who are looking for an alternative to Windows. And all the multitudes of distros serve no purpose in my opinion other than to satisfy someone's selfish sense of competition with other developers. I find it ironic that in the Linux community you hear on one hand that "this is an open source environment where everyone can and should tailor the system to his/her liking" and on the other hand you find many distros which are supposedly being developed "to satisfy the preferences of various groups of users". I feel that with the introduction of the term "personal computer and computing" it mislead people to believe that one must be a computer technician in order to be a user. I feel that there is a place and a need for those who develop and improve (and I do mean IMPROVE) the tool which is or should be the computing device and the software that runs it and which could and should be indistinguishable to those who are the "users" those people who have other interests and responsibilities and who are simply trying to take advantage of the capabilities of this tool. I for one never did learn how a hammer was build nor did I need an improved one every 6 months.

Sorry for my ranting. I apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings. Please attribute them to the frustrations of a Microsoft user who desperately wants to find an improved alternative.

Linux Guru
    Why must they come out with a new release every 6 months?
    Good question to post on the Ubuntu forums. I haven't got a clue. Some distributions don't have schedules like that, Slackware and Debian come to mine. My personal feeling is if it works, why change. I used Suse Linux 9.2 for five years.

I expect your problem could have been resolved because there should be no reason why you couldn't install two versions of Ubuntu. Grub bootloader wasn't installed properly for whatever reason. Since you decided not to pursue it further so...

Since you are new to using Linux, like anything else you need to learn how to use it or give it up. Ubuntu is very popular and therefore has a lot of support and you can find tutorials on-line on how to do pretty much everything, particualrly in regard to installations. I've got into the habit of taking notes on new installations so that if something goes wrong, I know all the steps I took. If everything goes well, then I know how to do it right and might be able to help others. I find it useful.

Since you have Ubuntu installed, I hope things work out. I don't use it myself primarily because I got used to other systems.