Find the answer to your Linux question:
Quick and Dirty SSH Tunneling | Linux Journal was the video I saw so how do I set my my home network for this? I want to be able to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

ssh tunneling?

Quick and Dirty SSH Tunneling | Linux Journal

was the video I saw so how do I set my my home network for this?

I want to be able to access the computer for files and programs so I will need x forwarding. I also want to use firefox for web broswing. Is their a way to do this with sshfs to mount folders?

for web browsing
    ssh -C -N -L 8888:192.168.1.1:3128 spowers@homeserver

for programs
    ssh -C -X -L 8888:192.168.1.1:22 spowers@homeserver gnome-terminal

How does the place from home let say free wifi tea shop know the home address of 192.168.1.1ort? what do i need to do to my router?

Just Joined!
    You need to setup port forwarding on your router to send incoming requests on ports 3128 and 22 to the IP of the computer on your network.

Trusted Penguin
    And using a (free) domain name is cool, too. Check out dyndns.org. You just need a client running on a PC in your LAN that will auto-update the ip address-to-hostname on dyndns.org once a day or whatever. then you can "ssh myhomeserver.dyndns.org" instead of trying to remember the IP address your home ISP gives you. Plus, that ip address can (and will) change on you, unless you pay for dedicated ip, so having the domain name removes that uncertainty.

Linux Newbie
    I get an error I have
    ssh -X -C 8888:1.2.3.4:22 user@hostname
    ssh: Could not resolve hostname 8888:1.2.3.4:22: Name or service not known

I have port forwding set up on both of my routers I also have a bind9 dns cash