Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi friends!! I'm in trouble!! Accidentally, I deleted a directory of Windows partition from Ubuntu. I did it using shift + del. Is there any way for recovering this data? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

recovering deleted files

Hi friends!! I'm in trouble!! Accidentally, I deleted a directory of Windows partition from Ubuntu. I did it using shift + del. Is there any way for recovering this data? It was a week ago!!

thank you very much!!!

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello

Don't know if they can still be recovered, but you can try using TestDisk and/or PhotoRec for recovering partitions and files. One of the easiest ways to run them is by booting a liveCD, such as the Parted Magic LiveCD. You can find instructions for using the recovery apps at the TestDisk website:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
    oz

Just Joined!
    You could try using the dd utility. I have never used it before, but it can copy raw data that you might use to recover some files (if they have not been overwritten by now).

Linux Guru
    Accidentally, I deleted a directory of Windows partition from Ubuntu
    This is why people emphasize taking extreme care when using root (sudo). I'd agree that testdisk is your best option. I'm sure you are aware that using the method you did means deleted not sent to a recycle or trash bin. Since you've been using the computer for a week, the chances of recovery are going to be less.

Good luck!

There is also the long route of using the Windows CD to repair that OS, then using your live Ubuntu CD to restore GrUB (Windows will over-write GrUB) giving you back your dual-boot.

Which versions of Windows and Ubuntu are you using please?
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633