Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am new to both Linux and Ubuntu. I recently loaded UBUNTU replacing my Windows XP system and I noticed that it has the application Wine already loaded and if ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to use Wine in UBUNTU 11.04

I am new to both Linux and Ubuntu. I recently loaded UBUNTU replacing my Windows XP system and I noticed that it has the application Wine already loaded and if I remember reading correctly that is an application that allows one to use Windows programs in the Linux environment. I have 2-3 programs in Windows which I would like very much to continue using but I don't see any instructions on how to proceed in Wine. Have there been any write ups telling one who does not know much about Linux on how to associate windows programs into Wine? I would appreciate any help or advice. Thank you

There are several good articles available.
    Check these results of a Google search:
    Google

The first few hits are quite useful.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    If they are simple programs, you should be able to just double click any .exe and run them. Complex programs like photoshop and games will run but will run MUCH smoother if you google the correct configurations for them.

PlayOnLinux is a program that configures Wine for each thing you wanna run. It mostly has games on it, but I've seen programs like Internet Explorer so I'm guessing it might have others

Just Joined!
    Thank you for the prompt reply and help. I now have a direction to try to make Wine work thanks to you. I appreciate it

You may want to take a look at the Wine Application database to see if others have had any level of success with the programs that you are thinking about installing.
    Keep in mind, though, that your mileage may vary. Even with the same OS, and same application.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    To install Wine -- go to ubuntu software centre and install it
    or
    u can install it by using command -- sudo atp-get install wine