Find the answer to your Linux question:
My boyfriend just installed Ubuntu on both his laptop and desktop computers. On his laptop he installed linux as the only OS (wiping out a previous version of windows xp) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installation Problem

My boyfriend just installed Ubuntu on both his laptop and desktop computers. On his laptop he installed linux as the only OS (wiping out a previous version of windows xp) & the lcd backlight stopped working after he started it up. The bios screen was bright and the ubuntu load screen but afterwards was just dark. Pressing the key to make the screen brighter did not work.
    On his desktop he installed linux alongside windows and just got a blank screen with only the original wallpaper and mouse cursor (no taskbar, etc) after going through the log-in screen.

He wants to try linux out, he is now switched back to his windows OS, and it is working fine.

Does anyone have a clue what could be causing this and possible solutions?

Hello and Welcome.
    It could be something simple like a missing driver or the wrong driver being used. It could also be video card related, which is very common. I'd suggest trying a different distro or flavor of Linux until you find one that works better.
    If you want to try to fix the current installs, boot either machine with any LiveCD and post the output of this command. Tell us which video card you have and all the system specs you can find.
    Code:
    lspci -knn
    How much RAM, what CPU does it have?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.