Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been trying to reformat my dad's pc. It is running ubuntu and I want to replace it with windows xp. I put in an xp disk and try ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I can't uninstall ubuntu

I have been trying to reformat my dad's pc. It is running ubuntu and I want to replace it with windows xp. I put in an xp disk and try to get it to boot from the optical drive and it just ignores it. Grub takes over and ubuntu loads. Please help.
    I have searched and looked through many threads, none of which have pertained to my situation.

Just Joined!
    Will super grub disk help?

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome!

Some machines have problems booting Windows installation disks once GRUB resides on the MBR.

You can go into Ubuntu, open a terminal and run the following command to clear the MBR and partition table:

Code:
    sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
    The clearing process should only take a couple of seconds once you run the command. After running the command, you should receive a short message about records in and records out. Then, you should be able to boot from your Windows installation disk once again to install Windows.

Note that you'll lose everything on the disk when you run the above command, so you'll need to backup any important data before running it.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Hi ozar! Thanks for the quick response!
    I've already backed every thing up since the plan is to reformat, I'm going to give that a try now.

Just Joined!
    It worked! Thanks a million!

Just Joined!
    ozar!

Great tip
    noted it down for the future.
    Thanx