Find the answer to your Linux question:
I used movie player to play a dvd, but playback quality is very jerky. Would this be a driver issue or a player issue? Likely you will need more info ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DVD Playback is jerky

I used movie player to play a dvd, but playback quality is very jerky. Would this be a driver issue or a player issue? Likely you will need more info to help me troubleshoot. Just let me know what you need.

Hardware is a Dell Dimension 4300 with a P4 - 1.86 gHz processor and 1 gb of RAM. The video card is an ATI 7200 LE card with 64gb RAM.

DVD plays perfectly on the Windows media player when I boot to Win XP.

Is there a different application or do I need different drivers for this card in Ubuntu?

Ed J
    A newbie to Linux

It could be a video driver problem. Post the output of
    Code:
    sudo lspci -knn
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 10-13-2011 at 02:48 AM. Reason: grammar
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Mike, thanks for the reply. I have been distracted from the Ubuntu project by other more pressing business issues. I bought a new video card for the machine and a wireless network adapter but neither one of them is working properly yet, but I haven't really had time to spend with the system. I may or may not have done myself any good with the video card since I can't download the recommended driver for it yet (because the wireless card isn't picking up my network - another project it seems.

I'll post again when I get this other business squared away. It has taken on a life of it's own it seems. - Ed J

No problem.
    Be sure to check the stickied thread in the wireless section of these forums. Tons of good info on getting wireless connected.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Mike, I'll have to come back to this issue as I have ordered a new video card for the machine. Notice that I had said the card had 64 gB RAM which is obviously incorrect. It actually had 32 mB of RAM.

The main reason though that I have to come back to it is that I accidently ( er, make that 'stupidly') overwrote the install with a SuSe install. I guess, I'll play with it a bit since it is on the machine and come back to the Ubuntu install in a couple weeks or so.

I think I was trying to play the DVD with the wrong program though. I can't remember the particulars on it now, so I'll have to recreate the issue when I reinstall Ubuntu.

I certainly appreciate your input and I'll run the commands when I get it back going and will post back to this thread at that time.

Ed