Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to add a 1TB scsi western digital hdd to my server. I currently have my os (ubuntu 10.04) installed in an eide hdd. when I tried to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems adding a scsi harddrive to my system

I am trying to add a 1TB scsi western digital hdd to my server. I currently have my os (ubuntu 10.04) installed in an eide hdd. when I tried to hook up my 1TB drive my computer wouldn't boot. Can I run these 2 drives together. i plan to use my tower as a media server and the 1TB drive is for all my media. I checked the hardware drivers program in ubuntu to see if im missing my scsi/raid drivers but nothing came up.

my question is: can these drives work together? is there a place to find the linux scsi/raid drivers?

Please help

Just Joined!
    when you say the OS won't boot can you please provide more details and tell us exactly what errors you get?

Trusted Penguin
    Along with vasile002's suggestions, also let us know what is in your BIOS, with regards to hard drives. Did adding the SCSI drive swap the order of drives, thus confusing your boot loader?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Also, please post the contents of /etc/fstab.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Sorry it took so long to reply this is what im getting when I try to boot

PXE-E53: No boot file name recieved.

PXE-MOF: exiting PXE ROM.

Disk boot failure, insert system disk and perss enter

I keep trying to boot into BOIS with no luck im going to try a new keyboard to see if that's the problem. The one I have now isn't the best.

if I unhook the HDD the system will boot. when i try to run /etc/fstab it says I don't have permission. then when I run sudo /etc/fstab it says folder does not exist.

Just Joined!
    Alright I got it all figured out.

First off thanks to everyone who replied!!!!!!

I will go over the issues just in case someone else has the same problems.
    The first issue I resolved was not being able to access BIOS. The reason for this was the keyboard was plugged into the mouse port on the MB. (I'm sure one of the kids must have switched it....... I wouldn't have made that mistake, Right?) The funny thing is the keyboard still worked once I got into Ubuntu to boot. (mouse is USB)
    Once I had that figured out, I Re-booted into BOIS. From there I went into "advanced settings" and changed boot order.
    Re-booted and everything works like it should.

Oh ya in my defense the cord for the keyboard didn't have the pretty purple end on it