Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Now I am not trying to say that I know it all, as I do not. However my question is, why does my laptop screen go blank after I click ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

I love it when my question is not answerd, as this proves my high IQ

Now I am not trying to say that I know it all, as I do not. However my question is, why does my laptop screen go blank after I click to install the new version of Ubuntu, 11.10?
    The disk still turns, I have even installed onto a desktop from the same burned cd, with no problems, yet this Ubuntu can not run on an Acer laptop with a 2.1GHZ cpu and 4 gigs of ram. Windows will however install fine, which rules out the laptop or cd-rom as being bad. All that I can do is to click the language screen and install Ubuntu, then my screen goes dead.......
    So if the answer is simple, I would appreciate it, and I will give you credit for the help and superior IQ...................

d-ace, welcome to the forums. Did you really expect an answer to your problem in a mere hour? Please be a little patient and I'm sure someone will come along shortly with good advice. I've never attempted installing Ubuntu 11.10 on an Acer laptop so anything I might say would be a wild guess. I'm closing your first thread about this as this one gives better info on your problem.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux Guru
    All that I can do is to click the language screen and install Ubuntu, then my screen goes dead.......
    After you click to select the language, does your screen freeze or lock up? do you just get a black screen?

Post information on your graphics hardware.

Banned
    I get a black screen, while the cd rom, seems to continue until an input is needed from me, which I can not give on a blank screen... It seems to me that the installation is working, but can never be finished.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

It's been a while since I last installed any version of Ubuntu, but back then they had an alternate "text installer" that would work every time for me, whereas the liveCD/GUI installer would fail every time.

This does sound like a graphics issue, so if they still have that version of their newer releases available, you could give it a try.
    oz

Banned
    Thanks, but I am really looking for info on the newest version only, as I want to move foreward in a cube without windows...................

It seems that Ubuntu is not able to automatically detect and use your
    video system. Does it fail to boot into a live system, or does it only
    fail after you choose to install?

Banned
    As I said, I have installed onto a desktop from the same cd. However with the Acer, the first thing that I did was to format the disk, so there is no live system to boot into. I wanted a clean install, with no leftover windows, as this usually makes for the least problems.

Quote Originally Posted by d-ace View Post
    Thanks, but I am really looking for info on the newest version only, as I want to move foreward in a cube without windows...................
    You can download the alternative installations, including 11.10, here: Alternative downloads | Ubuntu
    Last edited by jayd512; 10-23-2011 at 12:10 AM. Reason: typo
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Banned
    thanks, I have looked at the alternate downloads page, but can say that I had the previous version of Ubuntu installed for some time, and the install was effortless, and as I said an Intel Core 2.1 dual cpu with 4 gigs of ram should easily run the most complex os out there, even though it is several years old.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast