Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sgosnell
Can I hook up my laptop and desktop together with a cable. Don't want to use a link want to hook up directly with a cable maybe a ethernet cable. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Hook two computers together

Can I hook up my laptop and desktop together with a cable. Don't want to use a link want to hook up directly with a cable maybe a ethernet cable.
    I'm using Ubkuntu 10.04 have been updating it when told to.
    I'm a newbie so any commands given will have to be simple. I can use the command line with terminal.
    Thank you in advance for your help.

The best way is to connect both to a router (or switch). Directly with a cable you have to use a special cable (I don't remember the name: crossover, switched pair, null modem?). Probably with fixed IPs. AFAIK.
    Commands depends on what you mean by "hook up". scp, ssh or rsync commands may be what you need.

Regards
    Luis

Quote Originally Posted by ptkobe View Post
    The best way is to connect both to a router (or switch). Directly with a cable you have to use a special cable (I don't remember the name: crossover, switched pair, null modem?). Probably with fixed IPs. AFAIK.
    Commands depends on what you mean by "hook up". scp, ssh or rsync commands may be what you need.

Regards
    Luis
    It's called a crossover cable. I don't believe a regular cat 5 Ethernet cable will work correctly.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

With a standard cable, you have out going to out, and in going to in. You have to reverse those, so that in goes to out and vice-versa. A crossover cable does this. You can either buy a crossover cable, or use two standard ethernet cables connected to a router.
    ptkobe likes this.

What exactly are you trying to do?
    If you're looking to share files, then it's a crossover.

But since you mentioned hooking a laptop to a desktop, are you trying to share your wireless connection from the laptop to give the desktop a 'net connection?
    If so, a Cat5 cable. From there, just edit your connections in Network Manager.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.