Find the answer to your Linux question:
Actually the title is not the problem. Only sound plays and system hangs...... that's even more frustrating na... Atleast they show the mouse cursor moving, when I moved the mouse ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile Video Not Playing......in UBUNTU...... even .ogg not work

Actually the title is not the problem. Only sound plays and system hangs...... that's even more frustrating na... Atleast they show the mouse cursor moving, when I moved the mouse around... But no use with it.. I will have to force restart by pressing the button every time i open a video....

Let me explain.....
    I have ubuntu 10.10 installed and ubuntu ultimate 10.10 [not sure about the version, this 10.10 showed sometime..] in my laptop... I have the necessary codecs.. but no video files are being played in both OS. the above mentioned problem persists....

My Newly Bought Laptop : HP-630... [is it because my hardware is new and ubuntu don't have the exact drivers..?? one of my friends said that way]. ,core i3-2310, intel graphics 3000, 4gb RAM...

I've tried opening .ogg,.avi, .mkv ,.mp4 from vlc, banshee player, and the default player, and one more player which i don't remember the name... nothing worked other than said above....

Hello Geeks... please come, Give me an insight into solving this issue........
    Thank you guys in advance.......

Just Joined!

gstreamer

Go to the ubuntu software center and look for gstreamer. Make sure they are all installed.
    Then install vlc media player and load the videos with it.
    That may fix your problem.

sharon meraro

Just Joined!
    Run the below command in terminal

sudo apt-get -y install ubuntu-restricted-extras

Just Joined!
    ok .. i'll try... but even .ogg hangs the system.... that's annoying..

Just Joined!
    i have grtreamer installed,
    and i tried installing restricted extras...

when i ran a system performance test, the system hanged on a step that showed up like 'testing video playback'...