Find the answer to your Linux question:
I downloaded the ubuntu iso and burned it to a cd, and after installing and starting the computer, it goes to a log in screen. After login the background pops ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fresh install yields nothing

I downloaded the ubuntu iso and burned it to a cd, and after installing and starting the computer, it goes to a log in screen. After login the background pops up then nothing else. It's not freezing up, it just stops loading. The life and top menu bars never show. But it worked fine for when it loaded to the install or try. Screens. Has anyone had this problem?

Did you verify the download or use the "disk check" utility when you boot the CD?
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...ll-cd-dvd.html
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Nothing in the op on that page made any sense.
    The login screen comes up but after that it only loads a background which is what has me lost. Also it doesn't give me a chance to click vista instead of Linux on boot up. It's like a half second time on that screen abd the top 5 choices all have to do with ubuntu. My computer will barely run vista anyways (idiots at Dell expected 2gb ram to be enough) which is why I'm switching. It took a whole month just to get the iso burner to work. I'm about to just cut my losses and give up on having a home pc thanks for you help though.

Quote Originally Posted by jollykilla704 View Post
    Nothing in the op on that page made any sense.
    Are you referring to the link I posted? All it's trying to do is show you how to test the downloaded .iso file for corruption. Don't give up yet, you just got here.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

maybe you didnt download all the way try running it from a live cd if that doesnt work it was probably a bad download but idk i am still a noob mike is steering you in the right direction so far

Just Joined!
    Thank for the help! Turns out ubuntu 2D works so I'm just using that instead.

If that's the case, then it's most likely just a graphics driver issue.
    What video card do you have?
    If you're not sure, post the output of
    Code:
    lspci -vnn
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by jollykilla704 View Post
    Thank for the help! Turns out ubuntu 2D works so I'm just using that instead.
    Yes, Ubuntu (and Linux in general) won't support 3D operation without appropriate hardware with 3D hardware acceleration, and a driver that supports it, which in most cases is the video hardware vendor's proprietary driver, which will not be installed automatically... Ubuntu does support 3D on some of the latest hardware where the board and available open source driver for it both have 3D support. Personally, I'm not sure which those would be...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!