Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, Decided to try out the latest release of KDE from the repos in Ubuntu 11.10. It's seems to have broken Unity, when I log in to my user ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unity Fails After Installing KDE (Ubuntu 11.10)

Hi All,

Decided to try out the latest release of KDE from the repos in Ubuntu 11.10. It's seems to have broken Unity, when I log in to my user now with unity the unity bar doesn't come up and the top bar has nautilus options (or something similar to nautilus options). I can't access any of my applications, I also can't do alt+f2 to run anything. Any ideas? I would much rather have Unity working correctly than be stuck using KDE (which I am still not much of a fan for). Thanks in advance, hoping that I don't have to reinstall
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

I'm not really sure if this will work, but have you tried removing all components of KDE to see if that would fix it for you?
    I found this, if you want to try that: Getting Back to a Pure Gnome on Ubuntu
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Apparently something screwed up a folder in my ~/.gconf/apps folder. I'm not positive what yet but after chaning the apps folder to apps.backup I now have full functionality again....very strange, going to play with KDE and see if it happens again so I can head over to launchpad to bug report. Thanks for the link though, I very well might be removing kde completely as it's just not doing it for me....too much like windows
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"