Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Let's say a distro I want is released with a KDE or Gnome version I absolutely do not want. Is there any (newbie-friendly) way to get rid of Gnome version ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RE: Gnome & KDE versions

Let's say a distro I want is released with a KDE or Gnome version I absolutely do not want. Is there any (newbie-friendly) way to get rid of Gnome version 3 and replace it with version 2...or jettison KDE version 4, and replace it with version 3?

Some of that will be distro specific, simply for the package manager syntax.
    But for the most part, it's not difficult.
    Do you already have something in mind?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!

I'm looking to trial about 10 distros...

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Some of that will be distro specific, simply for the package manager syntax.
    But for the most part, it's not difficult.
    Do you already have something in mind?
    already found out Linux Mint 10 and Toorox has the KDE 4, and one of the others has Gnome 3 crud. Not found out what KDE & Gnome versions the other seven got, but likely at least some will also have this junk. Right now only option is to find previous releases of those distros, but hoping you can suggest another way.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    One suggestion... find a distro that has:
    A) all the options that you're looking for.
    B) Options to remove the cruft you don't like.
    C) install a distro... tweak it.

If I don't like a DE, I'll replace it. And more than likely ditch the stuff that comes with it.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Linux Guru

Just Joined!

I think you misunderstood...

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    I'm not looking for other distros to try (my plate is full). I'm looking to buy CDs/DVDS (linuxcd, OSDisc, etc.) of these distros:
    Linux Mint 10
    Ultimate Edition
    PinGuyOS
    Xandros 3.02 OCE
    NetSecL
    All the above have either KDE or Gnome or both. In the case of Linux Mint 10, I managed to find out it has KDE version 4 which I detest (along with Gnome 3). The question for this distro is can I get rid of the KDE4 and replace it with KDE3? If not, then which is the last (i.e. most recent) Linux Mint release having KDE 3? For the rest, I'm unable to discover which specific desktop version each has. Ulitmate edition has Gnome and KDE. PinguyOS has Gnome. Xandros is KDE. NetSecL is Gnome. If it happens that KDE 4 cannot be replaced with KDE 3, and Gnome 3 cannot be replaced with Gnome 2...then only option is to buy previous distro release having KDE 3 or Gnome 2, in which case I need to know exactly which CD/DVD to buy.

Just Joined!

Well 1 & 3 is do-able!

One suggestion... find a distro that has:
    A) all the options that you're looking for.
    B) Options to remove the cruft you don't like.
    C) install a distro... tweak it.

If I don't like a DE, I'll replace it. And more than likely ditch the stuff that comes with it.
    Regarding 'A', already done that (see list for rokytnji).
    Regarding 'B', I got no idea how to do that...
    Regarding 'C', I think I can figure this out myself when the time comes (I hope!).

About 'B'.
    You can usually completely remove any software that comes packaged with a distro in the same fashion that you would add it...
    Remember, your package manager is your friend!
    For some of the more commonly used commands for popular managers, see this page from DistroWatch: DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

Post back if you need more detaills.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

you can get different versions of the distro that have xfce and others. you don't have to use kde or gnome at all.

Just Joined!
    About 'B'.
    You can usually completely remove any software that comes packaged with a distro in the same fashion that you would add it...
    Remember, your package manager is your friend!
    For some of the more commonly used commands for popular managers, see this page from DistroWatch: DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

Post back if you need more detaills.

So just to be sure I understand you...lets say I really want Linux Mint 10, but it has my much despised KDE 4. Are you saying there is a way to get rid of its KDE 4, and replace it with KDE 3? Really?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast