Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

USB wireless CDMA modem

I succeeded in connecting to the internet with a ZTE AC2726i CDMA EVDO Rev.A USB wireless modem , without using command line , in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS .

Ubuntu recognizes the modem as an USB flash memory . Right clicked in its icon and clicked in "Eject" . This makes Ubuntu recognise it as a modem . Then :

1) Right clicked in the "Network Connections" icon , selected 'Enable Networking" , clicked in "Edit Connections" , clicked "Mobile Broadband" , clicked "Add" ;

2) In a new page , noticed that Ubuntu already recognized the modem (it takes around 85 seconds to do it) , clicked "Forward" ;

3) In a new page , clicked in my country , clicked "Forward" ;

4) In a new page , selected "I can't find my provider and whish to enter it manually" , wrote the provider's name , clicked "Apply" ;

5) In "Editing connection" page , checked "connect automatically" , wrote number , username , and password (internet service provider's data) , clicked "Apply" ;

6) "Close" the setting .

Ubuntu will try to connect automatically and it succeeds about 60% of the time . If it didn't succeed , chick the "Ntwork Connections" icon , and click the name of the provider just settled above , so it will try to connect manually .
    Also it may not connect for other reasons like : internet traffic is too much , the signal to/from the antenna tower is too weak , ..

After connecting to the internet for the first time , you can install a software named "usb-modeswitch" which does automatically the same function of the manual ejection of the usb modem/memory mode .
    Last edited by papakus; 11-19-2011 at 04:41 AM.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Thanks for the post. A lot of people are having similar problems with USB broadband modems, and the "eject" idea may well help a lot of them resolve the problem.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!