Find the answer to your Linux question:
Why does installing e17 desktop environment require removing so many packages? I wanted to try it out but it's saying I have to lose everything from banshee, to clementine, to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Installing Englightnment (11.10)

Why does installing e17 desktop environment require removing so many packages? I wanted to try it out but it's saying I have to lose everything from banshee, to clementine, to empathy, gnome-media, etc...

Not sure why these packages would have to be removed in order to check out enlightenment.

Thanks in advance
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Just Joined!
    One question to clear things up: Are you trying to uninstall Gnome (ubuntu-desktop)?
    answers from here.
    Gnome is a desktop environment. Desktop environments are robust series of applications designed to work together. GNOME is based on the GTK+ toolkit, and KDE is based on Qt. Uninstalling Gnome will remove all the related software.

e17 on the other hand, is a window manager. A window manager is a graphical interface that simply manages windows. Not many programs, but has the advantage of being able to coexist with an installed desktop environment. You could Not uninstall Gnome while only installing e17 and try it out. If you do this, the Gnome libraries will still load, so you'll still have some system bloating that could interfere with the e17 experience. I like e17, but for now I'm using xfce with Xubuntu.

Interesting about the differences, didn't know e17 was just a windows manager.

But none the less I'm just trying to install e17 on top of what I already have (I actually have gnome-shell, kde and Unity installed because I'm not sure which one I like or if I like any of them at all). Just when I go into synaptic and check e17 package it tells me it has to remove a ton of stuff including a lot of stuff I use. Not sure why a windows manager would have to uninstall media players, chat clients, and gnome-desktop packages.

I've seen xfce and it's just not "pretty enough" for me, I'm not one to gripe about a small performance loss for good looking product. Everything I use is functional and since I have 4 gigs of RAM I figure might as well use at least some of it (still using under 400 on boot). XFCE just looks to plain for my tastes, so e17 was an option I was considering.
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Xfce is better than u might think by just glancing at it. U can add stuff to it to make it "prettier" if u like. Something like compiz