Find the answer to your Linux question:
first off I don't know where to post this because it is solved now but I thought I would share my problem and solution because i've seen a lot of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

kubuntu and ati proprietary driver

first off I don't know where to post this because it is solved now but I thought I would share my problem and solution because i've seen a lot of people with the same problem. So here is the situation, I installed kubuntu and everything went great. I noticed that my graphics was really sluggish especially the mouse movement. I've seen this before, usually the graphics driver, so went to install the proprietary ati driver through the additional drivers app. it downloaded and started the install and then errored out. Then I decided to go to the amd site and get the driver from their site. I installed the driver and rebooted. This is where everything went bad, system crashed to command prompt and no matter what I tried I couldn't get back to the desktop. So after trying everything I could find on the net about this situation I decided to reload. Then I tried to install the proprietary driver again through the additional drivers applet and again it failed. What i figured out is even though it fails to install the driver it leaves the files in place that it could install and this is what is causing the system to crash. So you need to completely purge the driver, then after you purge the driver from the repos you can install the driver from the amd site. I did update my xorg but I don't know if this helped or not, would probably be a good idea to update before installing the driver. I'm thinking that the kubuntu team needs to take the ati driver package out of the repos, this is causing major havok for many people. So this is the fix that i've found to work.

Just a heads up. I think this may be isolated to kubuntu because it works on other ubuntu variants.

Just Joined!

ATI question

Since you have some experience with ATI, I posted this question before but never got a response:

I have a Gigabyte motherboard with onboard ATI graphics, and I also installed a Sapphire (ATI) video card hoping to use the AMD "Crossfire" technology which supposedly uses the memory on the video card to boost the onboard video performance.

Of course the install instructions are all for Microsoft, and uses a program that needs Windows. I downloaded the AMD Catalyst control program for Linux, but it doesn't have the same options described in the manual.

Just curious if you know anything about that. I can provide more specifics if it would help.

Thanks. Peace!

Just Joined!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by hatebreed View Post
    first off I don't know where to post this because it is solved now but I thought I would share my problem and solution because i've seen a lot of people with the same problem. So here is the situation, I installed kubuntu and everything went great. I noticed that my graphics was really sluggish especially the mouse movement. I've seen this before, usually the graphics driver, so went to install the proprietary ati driver through the additional drivers app. it downloaded and started the install and then errored out. Then I decided to go to the amd site and get the driver from their site. I installed the driver and rebooted. This is where everything went bad, system crashed to command prompt and no matter what I tried I couldn't get back to the desktop. So after trying everything I could find on the net about this situation I decided to reload. Then I tried to install the proprietary driver again through the additional drivers applet and again it failed. What i figured out is even though it fails to install the driver it leaves the files in place that it could install and this is what is causing the system to crash. So you need to completely purge the driver, then after you purge the driver from the repos you can install the driver from the amd site. I did update my xorg but I don't know if this helped or not, would probably be a good idea to update before installing the driver. I'm thinking that the kubuntu team needs to take the ati driver package out of the repos, this is causing major havok for many people. So this is the fix that i've found to work.
    Thanks for this information as I was just about to switch to Kubuntu on my home computer. And I have an ATI card too!!

Quote Originally Posted by Schlomy View Post
    Since you have some experience with ATI, I posted this question before but never got a response:

I have a Gigabyte motherboard with onboard ATI graphics, and I also installed a Sapphire (ATI) video card hoping to use the AMD "Crossfire" technology which supposedly uses the memory on the video card to boost the onboard video performance.

Of course the install instructions are all for Microsoft, and uses a program that needs Windows. I downloaded the AMD Catalyst control program for Linux, but it doesn't have the same options described in the manual.

Just curious if you know anything about that. I can provide more specifics if it would help.

Thanks. Peace!
    Don't take this the wrong way, this is just for your information --> but this is called "thread" jacking. If you have a separate question, you should make a new post. This thread is essentially "solved", so by adding another problem, you are essentially making it "unsolved" by thread-jacking.

If you think the OP [original poster] has experience with this, make a new thread with this other problem and PM [private message] the link to the author. Since some people have problems with private messages, ymmv [your mileage may vary]...

Anyways, netiquette. Have a good day

just to comment on the crossfire question i'm not sure becuase i haven't tried crossfire yet but will be in the near future. i'm guessing that it might not be if it's not in the catalyst control center but i don't know for sure.

One more comment on the kubuntu situation. after I got the driver to work finally, I went to do a system update and it stalled out on a package and on the next reboot messed things up hard. I'm done with kubuntu for the time being, maybe they'll fix all the bugs. I'm not sure if it's the OS or if it's KDE in general. I've found that doing package installs and updates don't seem to work all that great, and seen this issue with other KDE distros in the past, opensuse, mandrake, etc.

Just Joined!

apologies

Sorry Texas Writer. As you can tell by my slow response, I don't check the forums often. Didn't mean to cross netiquette boundaries- and this one makes sense.

And hatebreed, if you do run across a solution please send me a note.

Peace all!

schlomy, I have linux mint loaded on my new sytem and it has 2 ati 6770 cards in crossfire and works without a hitch. u just need to have the crossfire cable plugged into both video cards that u want to use in crossfire mode. when you plug the cable in and reboot, go into the catalyst control center and there should be a tab called crossfire x. u should be able to enable and disable this feature. I'm not sure if your board has the option to use crossfire, you'll have to look at your motherboard documentation and see if it supports it.