Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dual boot (2HDD) Ubuntu and XP. Ubuntu is on its own hard drive. I can access regular account with no problem. Password works as it's supposed to. If I try ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

recovery mode and password

Dual boot (2HDD) Ubuntu and XP. Ubuntu is on its own hard drive. I can access regular account with no problem. Password works as it's supposed to.

If I try recovery mode, at the end it asks for username and password. However, it will not accept what I use for regular access and set up the Ubuntu account with. Just sits there at the prompt and says incorrect.

What is it looking for? Windows has never had a password, so it can't be that.

This happened with 10.10 and now 11.04. Do you have to set up a Ubuntu one account for a general password? I never have as I want nothing to do with cloud storage. I do not share if I don't have total control. In fact, I want to delete Ubuntu One.

Thanks

Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    The password works in the regular login. It works for installing and maintenance. It simply won't work in Recovery.

The machine is dual boot but I boot thru Grub and Ubuntu is on its own hard drive.

The windows hard drive has never had a password. So I can't figure out what recovery is looking for. It certainly isn't the one that I set up Ubuntu with. That's the only password on the machine!

If the password didn't work, I wouldn't be able to use 11.04 at all.

Linux Guru
    I usually see Safe Mode or Failsafe as secondary option. What Recovery mode are you referring to? Is this under ubuntu in your menu?

Just Joined!
    It's in Grub. I can do 11.04, 11.04 recovery and XP. I have 2 hard drives and used to boot through the BIOS when I had 2K and XP. 2K wouldn't handle the new video card, so I overwrote the 2K drive with Ubuntu.

I just saw the computer name as root and the name of the computer which is profanity. Saw this on shutdown. Does Ubuntu have the computer name mixed up in this?

Linux Guru
    Do you have Ubuntu set so that you need a password to login normall?

When you boot the Recovery option in Ubuntu, you are prompted for a password at login and it fails, is that the problem? When you do a standard boot, can you login with your regular password.

The name of the computer is usually created during the installation when you create your user and enter a password?
    What does the prompt show when you try to login?

Just Joined!
    No, I don't need a password to log in - I'm the only one using that computer. It asked if I wanted to use a password to log in and I told it no. I do need the password to do anything else, and that's no problem.

Recovery mode doesn't ask for a password until the end.

The computer has been named ******** since it was a 386. It's generic and I just upgrade pieces and parts as I need them. It now can run Unity if I liked it. So Ubuntu had nothing to do with the name. It shows up as ******** on the network. I just created my user name and password. The name that showed up at shutdown was ********.

Ubuntu was installed last. I had another hard drive put in when I had to upgrade to XP. I didn't like the idea of only renting it, so that drive primarily stays offline and runs Adobe products. The computer was originally W2K before the XP hard drive was added.

I got annoyed that Ubuntu took over the booting. I used to boot through the BIOS and Ubuntu changed that to Grub which I feel it had no right to do.

Linux Guru
    I booted an Ubuntu system and selected Recovery Mode. It gave me a menu with 7 options including resume normal boot, login as root and five others. Selecting one brings me to a root prompt: root @user:~#

If you see something like that after making your selection, you are root user and don't need to login with any name or password but type in a command to do whatever it is you want to do. If you see the hash mark (#) at the end of the prompt, you are logged in as root. If you don't see this, I don't know what the problem is. You never indicated why you are going in to Recovery mode?

Also, your computer still boots through the BIOS, you are just using the Grub bootloader to boot both systems. You could have selected to install Grub to the mbr of the Ubuntu drive and they booted xp and Ubuntu through the BIOS. I expect you installed Grub to the mbr of the first drive in boot priority which is probably your xp drive but that's just a guess as I don't have enough information.