Find the answer to your Linux question:
can a person load the classic gnome instead of Ubuntu's new desktop? i was thinking of upgrading but i wanted to make sure first. right now i am using Ubuntu ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Ubuntu 11:10 starting up

can a person load the classic gnome instead of Ubuntu's new desktop? i was thinking of upgrading but i wanted to make sure first. right now i am using Ubuntu 10.04. thank you

Bower

Installing Gnome 2 won't actually be possible, AFAIK.
    The closest thing you'll be able to run is Gnome Classic (or Fallback Mode).
    A little tweaking can make the experience a little more like Gnome 2. See here: How to revert to GNOME Classic? - Ask Ubuntu - Stack Exchange
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bower View Post
    can a person load the classic gnome instead of Ubuntu's new desktop? i was thinking of upgrading but i wanted to make sure first. right now i am using Ubuntu 10.04. thank you

Bower
    Have you played with the new desktop? I too just moved from 10.04 and I really like it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Linux Mint Mate on Ubuntu 11.10

I followed the article on site called addictivetips.com.
    Title of article: Install Linux Mint Mate Desktop In Ubuntu 11.10
    to install Gnome in Ubuntu. This gives me a choice of Unity or Gnome at login. You have to click the little wheel on right-hand corner of the login window. If you look at the screen-shots of Linux mint 12,you might like it; you can then decide to install that desktop on top of Ubuntu. I did not want to desert from Ubuntu but I also like the Mint Desktop. This gives me the best of both worlds.
    Regards

So I take it you have the desktop you want? Running atop of your preferred OS?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    I guess I do. But then I am not in IT. I am just a retired academic (Geneticist) who happens to like Linux, all flavours of Linux. I like Unity too.
    Regards

Just Joined!
    I recently changed from Ubuntu 10.10 to Mint 12 because of the desktop issue. In Mint you have the four options, Gnome 3 ( with tweaks you can turn off if not required), Gnome Classic, Gnome Classic (no effects) and MATE. I think Mate is a branch from Gnome 2 with some Mint modifications. You can chose whichever desktop you like at the log in screen.

It seems to give the user the maximum flexibility and I am very pleased with it so far. Mint 12 seems to be very stable and as far as I can see there is little difference between Ubuntu and Mint as far as the basic OS goes. Mint 12 will be supported until April 2013 by which time hopefully the desktop issue should be resolved and users have access to the desktop of their choice.