Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am by no means a Linux guru but am enjoying learning. I created a Ubuntu system from an old eMachines box back in August to run as a MySQL ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Boot stalls after upgrade

I am by no means a Linux guru but am enjoying learning. I created a Ubuntu system from an old eMachines box back in August to run as a MySQL server at home. It was working great for a few months. One day I logged in and had a message to upgrade Ubuntu and I clicked OK. Since then it has never been live again.

During boot it stalls at
    ut1
    ACP: Power Button [PWRF]

I created a bootable USB, selected run from the USB and this still happens. So I'm thinking it must be a hardware problem (although very coincidental that it occurred during an upgrade) but what is the console message telling me? The power is certainly on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

in the grub menu, edit your ubuntu entry and go to the line that starts with linux. Go to the end of the line and add no acpi. see if this helps. Do you still have the old kernel installed? If so you could try loading the old kernel through grub also.

P.S. please post back with results as this may help others having the same issues. thanks.

Just Joined!
    Thanks. After learning how to edit in grub for the first time I think I did what you mentioned. I added "no acpi" to the end of that line but couldn't see how to save it, so just ctl-x from there to reboot. It did the same thing. Shouldn't I have to save? Should there be a "," or "/" or other control character first?

As for "Do you still have the old kernel installed?" Not sure how I would know. I have two boot options in grub: Linux 3.0.0-12-generic, and the same but with (recovery mode). If I select the first it just hangs and I never see anything. If I select recovery mode I at least get the log messages until it hangs.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Do you need the data on the mysql? If not or you have a backup, I say reinstall a fresh ubuntu. If it works, it wasn't a hardware problem (probably). Move on. Then learn to edit grub, recovery mode and more with a working system and with this experience in mind.

Just a thought. Regards
    Luis

Just Joined!
    Thanks, but while I don't need the data, I did try and boot from a USB and simply run from a USB and get the same issue.

Have you tried to disconnect from power (remove the power cable) and wait 2 minutes? It's not magic, some circuits, like NIC, stay on when you just turn off computer.

After your try with a usb boot, I guess you have some hardware problem. You may follow this path, or try hatebreed acpi off solution.

Regards
    Luis

Just Joined!
    OK... I'm chalking it up to a hardware problem and for $110 on geeks.com just ordered a replacement box (refurbed HP). Thanks for all the suggestions.