Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
OS: Ubuntu 11.04 Browser: FF 9 Scenario: I am browsing the web and want to save a file to a network share from within the save dialogue box that opens ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    rrl
    Just Joined!

Saving files to a network share via save dialog boxes...

Scenario: I am browsing the web and want to save a file to a network share from within the save dialogue box that opens if at all possible. I only see local folders available to me. The network share is mounted. I have at least the link to my networked machine saved in the bookmarks in the file browser as well, and don't see that link available within that dialogue box.

Are there any options available to me?
    Last edited by rrl; 12-04-2011 at 11:35 PM. Reason: fixing a typo

Trusted Penguin
    When you get the Save As dialog window pop up, do you get a Save in folder drop-down menu in it? I do (FF 7.0.1) and I can select from:

$USER
    Desktop
    File system

If I select File system, I can then browse to my network share, say in /mnt/samba, for instance. Are you able to access your network share from the command line? Are you also sure that you are running the browser on the machine that you think you are (i.e., you are not exporting the DISPLAY to a local machine and getting them confused)?

rrl
    Just Joined!
    The Save in folder selector is available, and I do have the option of selecting file system from there. Once I select file system, with the browse for other folders option rolled up, it appears my only option from this point is to change the file name before I save it, cancel or to save it in /. If I choose Browse for other folders, the dialog box expands to show me Places on the left, and the list of folders on the right for the currently selected directory which is Filesystem. My /mnt directory is empty. When I say I have the network share mounted this is to say I have the network folder on which I wish to save the file opened but in a minimized window to be sure I have access to it. Am I wrong in saying this is evidence that it is mounted? The network folder is on a machine running Vista, and the share is accessible via the file browser, and the command line. I can save the file locally and the copy it over. The browser is running locally, display is not being exported.

I do have another persistent networking issue involving browsing my Vista shares from my laptop running 11.04 which you can reference here: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ubu...tml#post861627

I do believe this second issue is an aside

Trusted Penguin
    Okay, so you are browsing to the Vista network share successfully, but have you attempted to mount it to a fixed mount point on your Linux box?

e.g., if you browse to \\vista_pc\my_share in nautilus, try to mount that directory using samba tools:
    Code:
    mkdir -p /mnt/vista_share
    mount -t cifs //vista_pc/my_share /mnt/vista_share -o username=vista_user
    you will be prompted for your vista_user's password. If that doesn't work, see if you can list the shares:

Code:
    smbclient -U vista_user -L vista_pc

rrl
    Just Joined!
    I did not set a fixed mount point.
    Following your instructions I have made a directory in /mnt

I receive an error msg when running the mount command:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //machine_name, missing codepage or helper program, or other error (for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program) In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try dmesg | tail or so

I notice that I cannot get to my share when typing the path //computername, but I can with the path smb://computername
    When mounting the share, would it be sufficient if I wanted to mount smb://computername and not smb://computername/share ?

I was successfully able to list the shares.

Does it matter that the directory I created in /mnt is all caps ?

rrl
    Just Joined!
    This is the output of the dmesg | tail

[ 2410.235999] wlan0: authenticate with 00:22:b0:b5:db:db (try 1)
    [ 2410.238819] wlan0: authenticated
    [ 2410.238857] wlan0: associate with 00:22:b0:b5:db:db (try 1)
    [ 2410.242663] wlan0: RX AssocResp from 00:22:b0:b5:db:db (capab=0x431 status=0 aid=2)
    [ 2410.242669] wlan0: associated
    [ 2410.248293] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan0: link becomes ready
    [ 2420.416048] wlan0: no IPv6 routers present
    [ 5202.173375] CIFS: UNC Path does not begin with // or \\
    [ 5202.173381] CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -22
    [ 5234.700311] CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -22

rrl
    Just Joined!
    here is the mount command that produced the error.

Code:
    mount -t cifs //computername /mnt/COMPUTERNAME -o username=username
    replaced computer and username where appropriate.

Trusted Penguin
    You need to supply the share name after the computer name. the share name should have been listed under the smbclient command, e.g.:

Code:
    mount -t cifs //computername/sharename /mnt/COMPUTERNAME -o username=username

rrl
    Just Joined!
    I changed the mount point to /mnt/computername/sharename

then

Code:
    mount -t cifs //computername/sharename /mnt/computername/sharename -o username=username
    got the same -22 error

I am appreciative of the help by the way.

rrl
    Just Joined!
    I tried using the ip address instead of hostname and I'm getting this error:

mount: block device //ipadress/share is write-protected, mounting read only
    mount: cannot mount block device //ipaddress/share read-only

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast