Find the answer to your Linux question:
biggershot.jpg Im running this version of Ubuntu Linux. I installed Virtual Box on it as well for XP. However, I am having a hard time figuring out how to share ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Angry Virtual Box Help Linux VB'in XP trying to share files and external HD

biggershot.jpg

Im running this version of Ubuntu Linux. I installed Virtual Box on it as well for XP. However, I am having a hard time figuring out how to share files on my linux desktop with the desktop running in the virtual box. If anyone can help let me know. Thanks for reading.

"You are using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
    - the Lucid Lynx - released in April 2010 and supported until April 2013.

This section is an introduction to Ubuntu. It explains the Ubuntu philosophy and roots, gives information about how to contribute to Ubuntu, and shows how to get help with Ubuntu."
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Did you install the VBox Guest Additions on the Windows VM? That allows you to share your Linux file system with Windows and not use something like Samba or NFS. You can also configure your Linux host with Samba (SMB file system) that your Windows system can connect with, but you will want to configure the VM to use the Bridged Adapter network so your VM can see your host system more easily.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!

still trying to figure it out.

Im using Virtual Box OSE. Is this the right virtual box or should I be using a different software. My friend installed linux for me a year ago, but I reformatted cus I wanted to learn on my own, but I installed guest additions, however I still can find my shared folders that im trying to share. I would like to be able to copy and paste certain items from my linuex desktop to my virtual windows... Im running xp, and ubuntu 10.04

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, I'm using Virtual Box 4.1.6 (latest version) which is the open source edition. I don't have any problems copying and moving stuff around. I can mount Windows shares on Linux with the CIFS file system option, and Windows will mount your Linux file system when you have the guest additions installed. Usually I use Windows to copy stuff to/from Linux since I don't have to mount the Windows share on Linux and I can then copy/move the files wherever I want - not just to the shared folders. Anyway, if you are running an older version than 4.1.6, you might want to update Virtual Box. Oracle has repositories you can install on Ubuntu or Red Hat distributions so you can just get the updates in the regular way when you update the operating system. No muss, no fuss.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!