Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hazel
Hi everyone I have ubuntu 11.10 64x installed system.For a month i did some changes with sudo command so i could able to use sudo command with out of password ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Software update starting with out of password asking.

Hi everyone
    I have ubuntu 11.10 64x installed system.For a month i did some changes with sudo command so i could able to use sudo command with out of password asking. Now i realized that package update interface doesn`t ask for password.When i try to update install button choose. How can i change this option?

Thanks.
    Last edited by whynot; 12-09-2011 at 03:38 PM.

I think the update manager uses gksu, which is the program that puts up that little graphical widget asking for your password. In turn gksu uses sudo to do the actual work of checking your rights. So if you change sudo, you change everything that uses sudo.

This is not a good thing to do. The need to give a password before modifying your system is an important safeguard; it's one of the things that makes Linux much safer to use than Windows. You have already seen that taking away this safeguard can lead to your system updating itself without your permission. Windows does this all the time. And if you should download some malware from the Internet, it could do the same.

My advice is to restore the sudo defaults. It may be tiresome having to give a password but it's more than worth it for the extra security it gives you.
    jayd512 likes this.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Just Joined!
    Go to terminal.
    Enter this:sudo passwd root
    Enter current unix password-(dont enter anything)(this may not come up)
    Enter new password-vgjcgcxfhjfxfgxgfxzgjfxgxyj(doesn't have to be this. can be your choice)
    Retype new password-(retype password)
    Unix password set successfully

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close