Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I had a big problem with some files. I suppose a virus changed the creation and modification date of some files and directory on Windows (2047, 2041 ...) The result ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Try to find a way to get back my windows file with Ubuntu

I had a big problem with some files. I suppose a virus changed the creation and modification date of some files and directory on Windows (2047, 2041 ...)

The result is that every files and folders are like this :
    Code:
    !,>(╗.>
    Impossible to read, rename, or copy them. But I really need to copy and print them :'(

I tried to install Ubuntu with VMware but it failed. Looping IRQ message all the time.

I thought use a live cd to get my files back and copy them to another location. Could you help me doing this please ?

I have this version : ubuntu-11.10-desktop-i386-fr.iso

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, the question should be whether the virus simply renamed the files, or actually encrypted the files and directories and/or names. Are any of the root level directories in plain-text, such as c:\windows, c:\program files, etc? Or are they all munged as well?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!

Red face Samba installed

I installed Ubuntu with VMware.
    I installed Samba.
    But I don't see the graphical interface. Could you explain me how to see it ?

When I click on "Samba" and type my password nothing happens.

I'm new in Ubuntu world, help will be appreciated

Just Joined!
    It looks like an encryption but they are just files and directories attributes changed.
    System file in C:\Windows and program files are clean. But a main work directory and other subdirecties are "encrypted"

The problem is the renamed is automatic with the wrong date. And when it is done it is impossible to change it because of the path rules from Windows.

I want to see them with Ubuntu, it is my last hope !!!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by icewall0 View Post
    I installed Ubuntu with VMware.
    I installed Samba.
    But I don't see the graphical interface. Could you explain me how to see it ?

When I click on "Samba" and type my password nothing happens.

I'm new in Ubuntu world, help will be appreciated
    Well, since you installed VMware in an already corrupted file system, I'm not surprised you are having difficulties. You should really boot a Linux live cd/dvd/usb drive and then manually investigate the Windows drive. First, you will want to verify that the fdisk command can see the Windows partitions, using the command: fdisk -l
    Next, you would create a mount point, such as /mnt/winboot, and mount the main Windows partition (what would be the C: drive) on that mount point, using a command like this (assuming that /dev/sda1 is your C: drive): mount -t ntfs /dev/sda1 /mnt/winboot OR mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/winboot
    At that point, either the mount command will give you an error because it can't read the file system, or you will be able to navigate to it and read the directories and files.

Quote Originally Posted by icewall0 View Post
    It looks like an encryption but they are just files and directories attributes changed.
    System file in C:\Windows and program files are clean. But a main work directory and other subdirecties are "encrypted"

The problem is the renamed is automatic with the wrong date. And when it is done it is impossible to change it because of the path rules from Windows.

I want to see them with Ubuntu, it is my last hope !!!
    So, you can see the files and directories when you are running Windows? Can you access the data in the files, or just see the file names?

Just Joined!
    1 simple doc file have a size of 1 Go with this Encryption. That's crazy

And now the root directory say all the files are unvailable in windows I think it is time for me to give up.

Or maybe another solution, I have a copy of those files in my USB.

Could Ubuntu read them through VMware ?

Just Joined!

Game over

Ubuntu is unable to see those "encrypted" files and folders.
    But Ubuntu can read all except those.

GAME OVER I lost 3 months work

Thanks for your help Rubberman

Most thumb drives are in a simple FAT-32 format which Ubuntu can read just fine, as long as VMware allows the host USB to pass through to the virtual machine. I know that VirtualBox, which I use, does that just fine.

Just Joined!
    Reinstall Ubuntu.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast