Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm new to this forum ... and having a problem with compiling on Linux (Ubuntu 11:10) I am also new to using Linux (so this may well be my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Compile Errors ??

Hi, I'm new to this forum ... and having a problem with compiling on Linux (Ubuntu 11:10)

I am also new to using Linux (so this may well be my problem!!) but I have been successfully using CodeBlocks on Win7 for a couple of months now for some simple VST plugin development.

I am trying to get to get the again VST plugin demo from the Steinberg SDK to compile using CodeBlocks. I have successfully done this on a Windows PC, but on Linux it isn't working. I have done everything the same (except directories and linker paths are different of course), but I am getting errors

For example, the aeffect.h header file contains this line of code:

126. *typedef VstIntPtr (VSTCALLBACK *AEffectDispatcherProc) (AEffect* effect, VstInt32 opcode, VstInt32 index, VstIntPtr value, void* ptr, float opt);
    which is generating this error:

/home/mark/SoftDev/SDK/vstsdk2.4/pluginterfaces/vst2.x/aeffect.h|126|error: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token|
    Why is the compiler expecting *‘)’ before ‘*’ ?? *It's fine on Win7 *and I am using GNU GCC as the compiler for both platforms.

None of the code is mine, it's all just the SDK demo code that I am using as a means of testing a setup for working on Linux. But as it worked on Win7 I need some guidance on what I am missing & what is going wrong here.

Many thanks
    Mark

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    This is probably because the SDK that you are building is a Windows-specific library. It may be configured to build on Linux also, but you may have to alter some compiler or build settings in the CodeBlocks environment.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!