Find the answer to your Linux question:
I got the latest nvidia drivers for a gforce 8600 gt card. What ever I try ends up in tears. After download I move into the directory with the nvidia ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems installing nvidia drivers

I got the latest nvidia drivers for a gforce 8600 gt card.

What ever I try ends up in tears.

After download I move into the directory with the nvidia .run file.
    I do like normal and run

Code:
    sudo sh longfilename.run
    I do get an error saying an instance of x is allready running.
    Now if I try to kill x from terminal I reboot.
    So I checked /var/logs and found this:

nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'
    creation time: Sat Dec 17 02:36:00 2011
    installer version: 290.10

PATH: /usr/lib/kde4/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin

nvidia-installer command line:
    ./nvidia-installer

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
    -> The file '/tmp/.X0-lock' exists and appears to contain the process ID '7818' of a runnning X server.
    ERROR: You appear to be running an X server; please exit X before installing. For further details, please see the section INSTALLING THE NVIDIA DRIVER in the README available on the Linux driver download page at Welcome to NVIDIA - World Leader in Visual Computing Technologies.
    ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details. You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at Welcome to NVIDIA - World Leader in Visual Computing Technologies.
    Well I did go to the readme and I searched several forums.
    I tried to install using first terminal ctrl+alt+F1 but also here I get the same error, allready running x.

then I tried that again this time using
    Code:
    init 3
    beforehand, but yet again same result. As time is ticking I tried this even though I do not know why init 3 would make any difference, but I saw a tips in a forum and just tried.

I can't think of more to try yet I can not run the driver installer.

what else can be done?

I think the problem might be the Nouveau driver. See this link.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bi...erHowto/Nvidia
    For booting single mode (No X)
    1. If you have Grub 2 set to boot without displaying the menu at all, hold the SHIFT key down until the menu displays. (In Grub it was the ESC key.)
    2. Press any key once the menu is displayed to 'freeze' it. Then arrow to the kernel you want to boot.
    Press "e"
    3. Scroll to the end of the "linux /boot/vmlinuz...." line. If displayed, remove "quiet" and/or "splash". Add the word "single" to the end of the line.
    Press CTRL-X to boot to the Recovery menu.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Seems I use a generic driver and not the Nouveau driver.

Here is the output of xorg.cong:

Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
    	Driver		"kbd"
    	Option		"XkbRules"	"xorg"
    	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc105"
    	Option		"XkbLayout"	"no"
    	Option		"XkbOptions"	"lv3:ralt_switch"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
    	Driver		"mouse"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
    	Boardname	"vesa"
    	Busid		"PCI:1:0:0"
    	Driver		"vesa"
    	Screen	0
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
    	Vendorname	"Generic LCD Display"
    	Modelname	"LCD Panel 1920x1200"
    	Horizsync	31.5-74.5
    	Vertrefresh	56.0 - 65.0
      modeline  "800x600@56" 36.0 800 824 896 1024 600 601 603 625 +hsync +vsync
      modeline  "800x600@60" 40.0 800 840 968 1056 600 601 605 628 +hsync +vsync
      modeline  "1280x768@60" 80.14 1280 1344 1480 1680 768 769 772 795 -hsync +vsync
      modeline  "1280x720@60" 74.48 1280 1336 1472 1664 720 721 724 746 -hsync +vsync
      modeline  "1280x800@60" 83.46 1280 1344 1480 1680 800 801 804 828 -hsync +vsync
      modeline  "1440x900@60" 106.47 1440 1520 1672 1904 900 901 904 932 -hsync +vsync
      modeline  "1600x1024@60" 136.36 1600 1704 1872 2144 1024 1025 1028 1060 -hsync +vsync
      modeline  "1680x1050@60" 147.14 1680 1784 1968 2256 1050 1051 1054 1087 -hsync +vsync
      modeline  "1920x1200@60" 193.16 1920 2048 2256 2592 1200 1201 1204 1242 -hsync +vsync
    	Gamma	1.0
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier	"Default Screen"
    	Device		"Configured Video Device"
    	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
    	Defaultdepth	24
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Depth	24
    		Modes		"800x600@60"	"1280x768@60"	"800x600@56"	"1280x720@60"	"1280x800@60"	"1440x900@60"	"1600x1024@60"	"1680x1050@60"	"1920x1200@60"
    	EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier	"Default Layout"
      screen 0 "Default Screen" 0 0
    EndSection
    Section "Module"
    	Load		"glx"
    	Load		"GLcore"
    Last edited by piergen; 12-17-2011 at 11:18 PM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I wonder if I need to uninstall the generic drivers before installing nvidia drivers?
    I downloaded RescueCD so I will try to boot from rescue cd and see if I can mount the drives from there, and then run installer. Does this seems doable or am I missing something?
    I have never tried to install drivers this way before so I am not certain if it will work or not. If I am going head first into a wall pls let me know.

You don't need to "uninstall" the Vesa driver unless you want to and it might be a good idea to leave it installed so that when you run into other video problems, you'll still have the Vesa driver to fall back on.

Do you not see the Additional drivers package available in your system menu as outlined in the above link? Did you try installing the Nvidia drivers according to the same link? Did you follow the link instructions on how to boot into single mode? What was the result?
    Typically you cannot boot a foreign OS and install software unless you use a series of commands that allow you to "Chroot" into the installed system. If you boot a LiveCD and run the installer, you'll just be attempting to install the drivers into the LiveCD unless you "Chroot" first.
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 12-18-2011 at 08:20 AM. Reason: clarification
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    You don't need to "uninstall" the Vesa driver unless you want to and it might be a good idea to leave it installed so that when you run into other video problems, you'll still have the Vesa driver to fall back on.

Do you not see the Additional drivers package available in your system menu as outlined in the above link? Did you try installing the Nvidia drivers according to the same link? Did you follow the link instructions on how to boot into single mode? What was the result?
    Typically you cannot boot a foreign OS and install software unless you use a series of commands that allow you to "Chroot" into the installed system. If you boot a LiveCD and run the installer, you'll just be attempting to install the drivers into the LiveCD unless you "Chroot" first.
    Thx ok I will let the Vesa driver stay - I thought that multiple drivers for same device might cause serious problems but if you say it's ok and even safer to let those drivers stay I will.
    What do you mean Additional drivers package? Where would I locate any other drivers installed? Not in /etc/x11/xorg.conf? Could nvidia drivers already be installed on my system - sort of just not working? If so where do I find those drivers and set them to work?

I have not yet tried to boot into single mode. I understood the first reply in this thread to only do so if I had the Nouveau driver installed, was that not the case?

As I don't know how to use "Chroot" and did not get much smarter reading several Chroot how-to's I will leave the rescue CD alone for now and make rescueCD the absolute last resort. Btw does it matter that I run a multi-disk software Raid 0? Will that stop me in any way to mount the drives correctly so that chroot will work?

Just Joined!
    Hmm turns out I have in the /x11 directory a xorg.conf.BAK also, and from here guess what seems like nvidia drivers at some point was installed.
    Should I just try swap those file names and see if that might work? The only thing is that there might be a reason nvidia drivers are not working, I guess modification to xorg.conf has been cause of some errors of some sort and forcing those drivers to get back to work might not go all that well?

Code:
    # xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
    #
    # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
    # values from the debconf database.
    #
    # Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
    # (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
    #
    # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
    # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
    # package.
    #
    # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
    # again, run the following command:
    #   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier	"Default Screen"
    	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
    	Device		"Configured Video Device"
    	Option		"AddARGBGLXVisuals"	"True"
    	Defaultdepth	24
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
    	Driver		"nvidia"