Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to install 11.10 on a new Lenovo IdeaPad that came with Windows 7. I've tried putting the .iso on a CD and a USB and rebooted multiple times, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux install issue - computer won't boot from CD or USB

I'm trying to install 11.10 on a new Lenovo IdeaPad that came with Windows 7. I've tried putting the .iso on a CD and a USB and rebooted multiple times, but the computer isn't booting from the CD or the USB; it keeps reloading Windows.

When I try to run the CD through Windows, there's an option for the CD to install a boot helper. When I try to install that boot helper, I get this message:

"An error occurred:

'WindowsBackend' object has no attribute 'cd_path'

For more information, please see the log file: c:\users\notatp\appdata\local\temp\wubi-11.10-rev241.log"

Any ideas how I can get it to boot and install? I successfully installed to my old computer. The new IdeaPad is not so cooperative.

Hello and Welcome.
    Before you go any further. You need to make sure that you understand the need for backups or copies of important data and the possibility that you may need the disc to restore your machine or a copy of Windows, just in case something goes wrong during the Linux install. With that being said, did you try setting the machine to boot from CD/DVD drive or USB in the BIOS? How did you burn the ISO file? Did you set the CD to boot? Tell us as much as you can.
    You can install unetbootin in Windows to install many flavors of Linux.
    UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Welcome aboard!

Just to add to what Mike said, take a look here for some extra info on burning your .iso to disc.
    It sounds like you may have just copied the files to disc, instead of burning as an image.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.