Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have my laptop running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS connected via builtin wifi. I bought a USB bluetooth adaptor and reroute the audio to a bluetooth receiver for my computer speakers. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to get bluetooth audio to stop interferring with wifi?

I have my laptop running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS connected via builtin wifi. I bought a USB bluetooth adaptor and reroute the audio to a bluetooth receiver for my computer speakers. But when I play streaming music from Youtube or Pandora, the bluetooth degrades the wifi bandwidth so much that streaming is impossible due to constant pausing to buffer the audio. Streaming music works perfectly if I either switch audio to the headphone jack (making bluetooth unnecessary although it's still enabled), or if I plug in a cat5 ethernet cable (making wifi unnecessary although still enabled). This phenemena has been duplicated on another laptop with integrated wifi & bluetooth.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The problem is that Bluetooth and WiFi 802.11b/g/n all use the same frequency ranges (2.4GHz). You might want to try changing your WiFi base channel on your access point (the default is 6 - try 1 or 11) to see if that helps. I always change my access points to use something other than the default for just such reasons, as well as to keep neighbors' networks from degrading our in-house performance.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Not only that, but Bluetooth devices 'jump' frequencies back and forth during normal usage to avoid communication drops.
    While that helps the BT device, it can cause signal degradation on everything else.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Not only that, but Bluetooth devices 'jump' frequencies back and forth during normal usage to avoid communication drops.
    While that helps the BT device, it can cause signal degradation on everything else.
    Absolutely correct Jay! The frequency hopping aspect of BT skipped my mind as a possible cause of interference. In any case, I use a BT headset with my systems quite frequently, and as my house APs use different WiFi channels than 6, I haven't seen any noticeable impact of BT on the WiFi, but then I may just not have been looking for it! In any case, I use my BT headset for Skyping on my laptop, and the WiFi for the network connection pretty frequently. That said, I don't stream music to the headset since it is mono and I prefer stereo for music, so when listening to music or watching videos on the laptop I use a wired headset.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!