Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, Just trying to gauge how big your installs are for daily use machines? I'm running around 5 gigs (not including home folder) just for the packages, I feel ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Daily Ubuntu Machine Install Size

Hi All,

Just trying to gauge how big your installs are for daily use machines? I'm running around 5 gigs (not including home folder) just for the packages, I feel like this is too big but I had to install kmymoney from source and that alone added over a gig of packages for dependencies.
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

I think my Ubuntu 10.04 install weighed in at around 5 and a half gig, with very little change (if any) to the default installation package.
    I thought it was a lot, too. But Ubuntu does add a bit of cruft here and there. Not complaining, mind you... that's just what they do.

For comparison sake, I'm running Slackware right now. I didn't really do a minimal installation... just trimmed it a bit.
    Before I started installing preferred packages, I think I was sitting somewhere between 2 and 3 GB of disk usage.
    Now that I've added my preferred packages, minus the home folder, my system weighs in at about 7 GB*. I could lose ~700MB of that, but I always use one system to act as a backup of other files

*EDIT*
    The 7 GB estimate includes a quite a few games.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.