Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I recently installed 8GB (2x4) of memory in my i7 machine that has various different 32-bit versions of Pinguy (Ubuntu 11.04 11.10) loaded, all with the pae version of the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Where is my memory?

I recently installed 8GB (2x4) of memory in my i7 machine that has various different 32-bit versions of Pinguy (Ubuntu 11.04 11.10) loaded, all with the pae version of the kernel. I also have Windows 7 installed.

When I started the Linux systems, they all say I have 3.8G of memory. Started Windows, it says 8G, so I'm pretty sure there's nothing wring with the memory or the machine.

I decided to install 64-bit Pinguy (Ubuntu 11.10) to try and resolve the issue. Still only sees 3.8G.

I was under the impression that 64 bit versions would be able to see more than I could possibly install. What gives?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I've never seen this problem, unless your BIOS is mis-configured.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Update 1:

Interestly, when I check hardware using lshw, it says that I have 8GB; using hardinfo, it only reports 4GB. All the other programs, such as conky, Ubuntu Tweak, Ailurus and byobu, also only see 4GB.

I checked my BIOS settings and couldn't find anything that would prohibit Linux from seeing all the memory (which it obviously can see, somewhat, according to lshw).

As I said in the original post, when I run Windows 7 (64-bit, BTW), it sees all 8GB without a problem.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Try booting another 64-bit Linux distribution from a live CD/DVD/USB drive and see if it also sees only 4GB of RAM.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

If I understand your original post, you are using 32 bit linux and 64 bit windows. Try a 64 bit linux, and it should show the 8 GB. 32 bit will only report 4 gb I believe.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    If I understand your original post, you are using 32 bit linux and 64 bit windows. Try a 64 bit linux, and it should show the 8 GB. 32 bit will only report 4 gb I believe.
    I DID try installing 64-bit Linux and still get only 4G reported to most of the system. The only place I see 8GB is in lshw. All my other programs still only report 4GB. I also tried a different 64-bit Live CD with the same results.

When u are in Windows does it show all 8 gigs as usable memory? I've seen it where Windows reports the total amount of memory and then it will show a different amount that is usable memory. I had this same issue and the only way to fix it is with a BIOS update. But with your system being an i7 u should be able to use 16 gig at the very least. One more thing to try is move one of the memory sticks to the channel b and see if this will help. Are the sticks matched? Sometimes if they are not it can cause problems especially if they run at different speeds.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by hatebreed View Post
    When u are in Windows does it show all 8 gigs as usable memory? I've seen it where Windows reports the total amount of memory and then it will show a different amount that is usable memory. I had this same issue and the only way to fix it is with a BIOS update. But with your system being an i7 u should be able to use 16 gig at the very least. One more thing to try is move one of the memory sticks to the channel b and see if this will help. Are the sticks matched? Sometimes if they are not it can cause problems especially if they run at different speeds.
    Now I'm really confused. After reading this post, I finally booted back into Windoze and saw that, indeed, it only shows 3.96 usable. I immediately downloaded the MSI LiveUpdate program (which, no surprise, only runs in Windoze) and upgraded the BIOS for my MB.

A couple notes here; I always buy my memory in pairs and have never mixed speeds. I thought about using the slow 4GB with the fast 8GB, but wanted to see how the *G worked by itself. Call this all a learning experience.

After updating the BIOS, I still only have 3.96GB usable in Win. Haven't gone back to the good side yet. Since I don't see good results here (BTW, all my previous posts were done in Linux; I'm only using the dark side here because that's what I used for the BIOS upgrade and to check what memory was available).

I'm really at a loss now. Going back to my friendly Linux system now to see what it has to say after the BIOS change (hope it still works!)

Linux Guru
    What does the command

Code:
    free
    show on your pae installed linux kernel. My 4 gig laptop shows all my 4gig of ram in Racy 5.2.2 Puppy Linux.

Just Joined!
    I would try reseating the memory, a DIMM or two may have wobbled loose over time. I mean at this point does it hurt to try?
    Sounds like a real head scratcher, best of luck to you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast