Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, I'm new to linux. I'm running a distro called Remix OS on a 2007 MacBook. It seemed ok when I first installed it, but I went sudo crazy ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu-based distro, screen freezes regularly, trouble getting audio

Hello everyone, I'm new to linux. I'm running a distro called Remix OS on a 2007 MacBook. It seemed ok when I first installed it, but I went sudo crazy trying to get sound to work through the headphone jack (only works through speakers, may be my computer) and had to reinstall.

The screen is freezing often. When this happens I can still move the mouse, and sometimes certain things work, for example the mouse will still turn into a curser and right click works but only on the cairo dock.

This has only happened using firefox, but that's mostly what I've been using because I'm trying to research how to fix these problems. Oddly enough, both Chrome and Chromium won't open any web pages.

And about the sound... All sound works, but only through the speakers. I figured my heaphone jack was just screwed up because it's an old computer that's been taken apart a million times, so I plugged in my USB interface but it doesn't seem to detect it properly. GNOMe alsa mixer sees it as "USB mixer" but doesn't show any controls.

Thanks in advance!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiethemorris View Post
    The screen is freezing often. When this happens I can still move the mouse, and sometimes certain things work, for example the mouse will still turn into a curser and right click works but only on the cairo dock.

This has only happened using firefox, but that's mostly what I've been using because I'm trying to research how to fix these problems. Oddly enough, both Chrome and Chromium won't open any web pages.
    I've seen something like this happen in FF if I did an upgrade to the (gecko?) web-rendering infrastructure while FF was running. killing/restarting FF always fixed it for me, though.

Perhaps FF and chrom* are using the same bits underneath (webkit or something?) and it's failing? Hopefully someone with more of a clue than me will chime in.

Just Joined!
    I've officially determined that it's not any sort of web browser, it froze up just browsing files, the only program open was jack. It could be a hardware issue, but I doubt it because the mouse still works. chrome still has issues and will not browse any websites, though which may be an issue. I would install another distro, but this one comes with wine, wineasio, jack, and reaper all configured to work together which would be a pita to set up

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close