Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear fellow dual-booters, I have a question related to accessing an EXT3 partition from within Windows 7 Professional. I will first present what I would like to accomplish. Then I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red face Read AND write to an EXT3 partition through Windows 7 Professional

Dear fellow dual-booters,

I have a question related to accessing an EXT3 partition from within Windows 7 Professional. I will first present what I would like to accomplish. Then I will elaborate what I already have done. Finally I will pose some questions. Your help, tips and experience is much appreciated!

------------------------------------------------------------

I want to establish a dual-boot system running on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and Kubuntu 11.10. Kubuntu will be my primary OS. Windows is only to be used for Windows-only applications and games (I want to avoid having to use Wine). My data (documents, photos, videos etc.) is to be stored on a partition shared by Windows and Kubuntu, formatted with the EXT3 file system.

The dual-boot system has already been set-up using the fifth partitioning scenario described on:

psychocats.net/ubuntu/partitioning

The current partitions are:

partition 1: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit (80 GB, NTFS)
    partition 2: /home (500 GB, EXT3)
    partition 3: / (100 GB, EXT4)
    partition 4: swap (+- 18 GB)

In order to read AND write to the /home partition from within Windows, I was about to use FS-Driver. Unfortunately, this application cannot be installed on Windows 7. Only Windows NT4.0/2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008 are supported (yes I have already tried to install the application in vain).

I have looked on the web for other applications which could grant Windows the same capabilities as FS-Driver. However, the alternatives I found provide only reading capabilities but no writing capabilities. Therefore I have the following questions:

1. Do application(s) exist for Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, which allow Windows to read from AND write to an EXT3 partition?

2. In the case the answer to 1. is no, can I delete the /home partition and create a new one with the NTFS file system, using my Kubuntu 11.10 installation DVD? Or do I have to remove Kubuntu entirely and perform a clean install?

NOTES: I do not want to use Wine and I prefer to have a shared EXT3 partition instead of NTFS.

Thank you all for your time!

regards,

Calubuntu

Just Joined!

Read/Write ext3/ext4 from Windows 7

I am using ext2fsd v0.51 without problems from Windows 7.

Just Joined!
    Nice! Is it able to read AND write, or only read?

Just Joined!
    read and write, see link for full spec
    ext2fsd . com/?page_id=2
    (cannot post real link as not enough posts)

Just Joined!
    Yes I have that same problem. 10 more posts to go =D

Thank you very much darkomano! Ext2fsd worked like a charm. Cannot believe how easy it is! My dual-boot is finally fully operational =D

Just Joined!
    I was looking for such app. . .thanks!!!