Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys! I was minding my own business, when all of a sudden my laptop wouldn't boot up =O I would get the following screen: Code: init: plymouth main process ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Boot Up Error - plymouth main process (217) terminated with status 2

Hi guys!

I was minding my own business, when all of a sudden my laptop wouldn't boot up =O

I would get the following screen:

Code:
    init: plymouth main process (217) terminated with status 2
    exec: 11: mountall: Input/output error
    init: mountall main process (221) terminated with status 2
    init: plymouth-stop pre-start process (227) terminated with status 1
    Filesystem check or mount failed.
    A maintenance shell will now be started.
    CONTROL-D will terminate this shell and continue booting after re-trying filesystems. Any further erros will be ignored
    root(at)RR:~#
    I have an older version of linux, i believe 9.04 and always refused to update anything

i found another forum post of someone who appeared to have a similar problem as me:
    linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/boot-errors-855689/#post4222238

and tried
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
    but got:
    Code:
    mount: /dev/sda1 already mounted or /mnt busy
    mount: according to mtab, /dev/sda1 is mounted on /
    Are there any kind and knowledgeable people out there who can help? i hope i don't lose my files

Just Joined!
    Okay so I don't really know the solution to this, but i figured out how save my files.

I just loaded the install cd live, then was able to see my hard drive. However some folders were "Permission Denied" b/c I was not the owner =O

But then i typed "gksudo nautilus" into the terminal, and i got around the "Permission Denied"

I'm such a badass hacker!
    Last edited by jayd512; 01-08-2012 at 06:58 AM. Reason: removed questionable content