Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm using Ubuntu 10.10. Recently I noticed that my '/ ' has been fully utilized (100%) I did a restart after that, my login screen became bluish color and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Root File System is Full Can't Login :(

Hi,

I'm using Ubuntu 10.10. Recently I noticed that my '/ ' has been fully utilized (100%) I did a restart after that, my login screen became bluish color and cant login normally; it roll back to the login page saying gnome-power-management has some problem. I tried uninstalling gnome-power-manager and reinstalling by login via shell at the login screen by typing CTRL+ALT+F2, It also did not work.

Can anyone suggest what should I do to get space in / file system when it is 100% filled with data?

Thanks

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by amithad View Post
    Can anyone suggest what should I do to get space in / file system when it is 100% filled with data?
    Hello

You can try emptying your installed packages cache, or try expanding the size of the root partition if you haven't done so already.
    oz

You can also, as root or use sudo, delete the /tmp folder contents.
    Code:
    rm -rf /tmp/*
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Depending on how long you've had you system, you may have old kernel installed that are no longer used.
    You could remove those.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Trusted Penguin
    I assume you can log in in the first place, yes?

You can uninstall packages you don't need. Run the apt-get fu to get a listing of all installed packages, then sort it by size, and start whacking.

Remove old logs (/var/log/ is a good place to start). Also set up logrotate to manage your logs, if you're not doing that already.

You can also do a find command of all files on your system, and sort them by size. This command will find all files and print the file size (in bytes) and file name to a file (run it as root):
    Code:
     find / -type f -exec stat -c '%s %n' {} \; 1>/all_files.txt 2>/dev/null
    Then when it's done, you can sort it, or examine it at your leisure, e.g.:
    Code:
    cat /all_files.txt|sort -n
    Really, you ought to upgrade your hard drive to one with a larger capacity, if that is possible.
    Last edited by atreyu; 01-07-2012 at 12:48 AM. Reason: run as root

Dear All,

Many thank for your valuable suggestions. I think the problem is with log files and unwanted programes. Will deleting in the files in /tmp files will also help.

Thank you again

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    If you enable root logins, then when this happens, you can login as root, since some percentage (5-10% I think) of the system disc space is reserved for root, not regular users. Then, you can clean up log files and other cruft that is causing you problems as a regular user.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!