Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
This is my third thread in a few days, I feel like i'm struggling a bit. So I moved a script on my desktop to a different location and tried ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wont boot up.

This is my third thread in a few days, I feel like i'm struggling a bit. So I moved a script on my desktop to a different location and tried to run it, the system locked up and now it wont even boot up. I wrote this for the script:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    sudo -i
    cd /home/user
    mount -t vboxsf music /home/kyle/Music_Mount
    exit
    Then I moved it. It was on the desktop.
    Code:
    #the script I made was called 'mount', I didn't think anything of it, but it is the same as a command. 
    sudo -i
    mv mount /usr/local/bin
    cd /usr/local/bin
    dir
    #it displayed mount, the file i put there.
    mount
    cd
    #then i tried to run the script by typing mount [ENTER]
    mount
    Then I haven't been able to use it again.

Kopkins
    Last edited by Kopkins; 01-07-2012 at 02:59 AM.

Trusted Penguin
    Yeah, looks like you moved the mount command inadvertently. It usually resides in /bin. You'll need to boot via a rescue Linux CD (any Live Linux CD will do - the Ubuntu one would be fine). You just need to be sure to go into "rescue" mode - sometimes it is a menu option when you boot the Linux CD, and sometimes you have to manually append it to the kernel parameters line.

The rescue system runs in memory. You'll need to mount your original system temporarily (the rescue Linux installer may try to do that for you), then move the mount program back into place (if you can find it), or reinstall it from sources (not sure how easy/hard that is with Ubuntu).

If you need to mount your system manually, you'll need to do something like:

Code:
    mkdir -p /mnt/sysimage
    mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /mnt/sysimage
    Edit: Check this guide for booting into rescue mode:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/instal...86/rescue.html
    Last edited by atreyu; 01-07-2012 at 04:58 AM. Reason: guide

Just Joined!
    I can't figure out how to boot into rescue mode. With the CD in, it boots to a menu where I can test it or install it. I can't find anywhere to input rescue, or anywhere to select it from a menu.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Trusted Penguin
    So there is no "Rescue a broken system" option? What CD are you using? Can you press Escape to get a "boot:" prompt? If so, then try typing "rescue" and enter.

Just Joined!
    I just went back to ubuntu.com and downloaded the disk image again. It's Ubuntu 11.10. Should I use 10.04? I got to the boot prompt, but it says there is no 'rescue kernel.'
    Last edited by Kopkins; 01-07-2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: version

Trusted Penguin
    Is there a "Try Ubuntu" option? That would be like rescue mode.

You can use the 11.10 version of the Ubuntu CD and then re-install the package containing it (probably the util-linux package, but not sure) from the internet. Or you can use the Ubuntu CD of the same version as your installed OS (10.04?), boot with it and re-install the package from that CD.

You will need to mount your original filesystem first, remember.

Just Joined!
    There is a try option. my version is 11.10. How would I go about mounting my original filesystem? I'm very new to this, sorry.

Thanks,
    Kopkins

Trusted Penguin
    It is likely your Ubuntu installation is on the first SATA disk, e.g. /dev/sda. But to be sure, first get a list of your hard disks. In the terminal window, do:

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    You should see partition tables of all attached hard disks. Assuming /dev/sda, do something like:

Code:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/sysimage
    sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /mnt/sysimage
    Where sda1 is the partition on which your root filesystem resides. it could be sda2, etc.

Just Joined!
    Is there something besides 'ext3' I could use. It causes an error?

Trusted Penguin
    yeah, it could be ext4, that is likely it. i thought it was backwards-compatible, though...

Edit: according to the Release Notes, ext4 is the default.
    Last edited by atreyu; 01-07-2012 at 07:18 PM. Reason: confirmed default

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast