Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have only recently started to use Linux (Kubuntu) and I come from a Windows background. Therefore I do not know how to do things ¨properly¨. I want to install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Apps to /usr or /opt?

I have only recently started to use Linux (Kubuntu) and I come from a Windows background. Therefore I do not know how to do things ¨properly¨.

I want to install MATLAB and Maple (respectively a commercial numerical computing environment and a commercial computer algebra system). However I do not know where to install them, either in /usr or /opt?

I have read that it is just a matter of taste, being consistent or following a distro's way of doing things. So I was wondering, what is the most standard way for Kubuntu, using /usr or /opt?

Just Joined!
    To be technical and follow the File System Hierarchy, you would want to install those package to /opt

Technically, /usr is more for daemons and other system utilities that aren't critical to running the system.

Most distributions end up dumping everything in /usr though anyways.

Trusted Penguin
    Typically, applications packaged for the syste by the distribution vendor get installed to /usr - this dates back to UNIX of olden days. Basically, this means that the files belonging to an application installed the /usr prefix would have this layout:

binaries go to /usr/(bin|sbin)/
    libraries go to /usr/lib/
    header files go to /usr/include/
    doc files go to /usr/share/(doc|man)/
    config files go to /usr/etc/ (or /etc/)

A common alternate installation prefix is /usr/local. It is considered good practice to install packages manually to /usr/local, so as not to interfere with system-installed packages. Installing to /opt is also a popular convention (I also see /apps used a bit).

I would stay away from installing anything to /usr unless you absolutely know what you are doing and are not worried about over-writing anything.

"/opt is reserved for the installation of add-on application software packages."

"/usr is shareable, read-only data. That means that /usr
    should be shareable between various FHS-compliant hosts and must not be written to."

- From FHS Referenced Specifications FHS 2.3

"add-on application software packages" being those not installed by the distribution, I think (?).

EDIT: also http://www.linuxfoundation.org/tags/...archy-standard