Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I'm new to Ubuntu. My question is "Can I learn it atleast in a month or so?". I can run dual OS but still, is Ubuntu as user-friendly ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Newcomer

Hello all,

I'm new to Ubuntu. My question is "Can I learn it atleast in a month or so?". I can run dual OS but still, is Ubuntu as user-friendly as Windows?

Hello and Welcome!

Can you learn to use it it a month? Easily.
    Master the intricacies of the CLI in a month? Not quite as easy, but you can still get quite a bit done!

is Ubuntu as user-friendly as Windows?
    Yes it is. It has a very intuitive GUI. And is loaded with applications for email, torrent clients and other good stuff that is comparable to what you might use in either Windows or MacOSX.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Are Ubuntu is suitable for web development?

I have limited knowledge of web development, but I would have to say Yes.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by f1041 View Post
    is Ubuntu as user-friendly as Windows?
    If you are talking about Windows Vista/7, I'd say Ubuntu is more user-friendly. If you are talking about Windows 2000/XP, I'd say somewhere b/t as user-friendly, to slightly less user-friendly. Either way, the way you'll learn best is to use it, every day, and don't cheat on it and run back to Windows to get something done. I guarantee you, provided you don't want to play games - you can do it in Linux.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by khairizalsalim View Post
    Are Ubuntu is suitable for web development?
    Yes, it is suitable. Ideally, you'd want a web server and a good editor, along with various web-related languages (perl, python, PHP, etc.). You could also go for an IDE, but that is probably overkill for web development. I'm sure there are also WYSIWYG editors, although I don't use those myself. All of these things are available in Ubuntu. I personally prefer RPM-based systems (like CentOS and Fedora - both based on Red Hat), but that's just me. Your best bet, if you have the time, is to test-drive 2 or 3, and see what works best for you. If you are in a time-crunch, I think you'll be fine with Ubuntu. It has a huge software repository and a huger community.