Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, As stated in the title, keyboard access to the menu items has stopped working. When I hit the alt key, nothing happens. So for example, by hitting ALT-F instead ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

keyboard accelerators for menu stopped working on Kate editor in 11.10

Hi,
    As stated in the title, keyboard access to the menu items has stopped working.

When I hit the alt key, nothing happens. So for example, by hitting ALT-F instead of bringing up the File menu, an "f" is inserted into the open editor window document. Not what I want..

But this is (a) only happening in KATE. For example, ALT-F in gedit works fine to bring up the file menu. (b) this is happening after latest reboot: the menu accelerators had been working fine before that.

Just Joined!
    Am I alone in experiencing this issue? Any hunches out there? I could imagine this were possibly (a) Kate specific issue - most likely ? (since gedit works fine) (b) gnome (c) ubuntu unity (d) XWindows ?

thanks

Just Joined!
    Hi the following is interesting information: I rebuilt KATE from SOURCE. Here is what happened: the KWRITE WORKS properly! The ALT-F for example works fine for bringing up the file menu. But the KATE still has the same problem (/bug.. ) that it puts the "f" inside the document. So there is clearly a bug in KATE itself (and not KWRITE!!) BTW this is working very fine in ubuntu 10.04. So maybe something to do with the Ubuntu Unity

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Kwrite started to exhibit the same (buggy..) behavior..

BUT I did find what appears to be a 'real' fix. Add the following to your .bashrc

export APPMENU_DISPLAY_BOTH=1 kate kwrite

Now the menu is added to the app itself (instead of using Ubuntu Unity). The "theme" becomes a very archaic version of x windows.. but that's a minor inconvenience .. now the keyboard accessible menus are back!