Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By arochester
Hi all, I have downloaded Ubuntu latest version(11.10), but I don't know how to find it's terminal, and use it's command. I found it in software>accessories, but it doesn't work. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu latest version Terminal problem

Hi all,

I have downloaded Ubuntu latest version(11.10), but I don't know how to find it's terminal, and use it's command.
    I found it in software>accessories, but it doesn't work.
    It doesn't start, it's written installed, but it doesn't work
    Is there anyone who uses this version and can help me?

Thanks in advance.
    Sophia

Linux User
    ramin.honary likes this.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophia_AI View Post
    Hi all,

I have downloaded Ubuntu latest version(11.10), but I don't know how to find it's terminal, and use it's command.

Thanks in advance.
    Sophia
    Which application did you install; Desktop or Server, 32bit or 64bit, what are you going to use the distro for and various other questions need to be displayed.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophia_AI View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
    Sophia

If I can make a suggestion, and it's for Desktop Ubuntu and not Server, try loading your package manager, and installing Eterm, that's one of my favorites. I also use xfce's Terminal Emulator, pretty good one too.
    Other than this, not sure how to help with the Server Ubuntu, sorry for any problems I can't help solve.

Just Joined!
    Hi Sophia_Al,

You have gone to the right place in Accessories. Try typing the command you want then a space then "--help" (without the quotation marks). This should give you the help page for the command. ou should be able to scroll up and down to go to the top if the page is too ling for the terminal screen.

If you type in a command that needs administrator privileges, you will need to type "sudo" first. It should then ask you for your administrator password which is the password you used when you installed Ubuntu.

Someone above suggested using xfce which is a desktop environment. I agree with this and find it much easier to use than the unity desktop. To install xfce, open the synaptic packet manager or the software manager and type "xfce4" into the search box. It should find it in the repositories installed as part of the standard installation. Then just click on install.

After the installation is completed, log out and when you log back in, click on the gear icon on the top right of the login window and choose xfce. Type your password and log in. Xfce desktop usually has a panel on the bottom which includes shortcut for terminal.

Explore and have fun.

Regards,

Ozzlawrence

Just Joined!
    I had the same problem. Then I found by clicking on the top icon of the icons on the left and then type TERMINAL in the search bar and presto! there appears the terminal window. As it works for me in Ubuntu (recently updated) it would be worth a try.

Has Ubuntu not utilized the Ctrl + Alt + T function in that version?

If so, and you would like to use it, you can probably assign it back as a keyboard shortcut using, well "Keyboard Shortcuts" in preferences.
    That isn't mean to sound sarcastic.

Good Luck.

Just Joined!
    Thanks Linux Owner, that was one shortcut I was not aware of. My other problem is that I cannot get into # mode with the su command. When it asks for the password and I type it in, it will not recognize my password. When I installed Ubuntu I chose not to have to log in every time on startup. Might that be the reason for this problem?

Hi, ferntree.
    The root account is actually disabled by default on Ubuntu installations.
    There are ways to enable it, and plenty of How-To articles are available on that very subject.
    Here's a little light reading on the topic: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ubu...in-ubuntu.html
    There is a link in there that tells how to enable root, if that's what you're looking for.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for that link Jay, it was most helpful and interesting. I have had occasions where I got the message "you need root permissions to run this", so now I can at least try it.